Virgin Atlantic launches second daily service to Johannesburg
Virgin Atlantic recently announced that it will offer a second daily flight from London Heathrow to Johannesburg. The new flights went on sale in late March and the service will begin flying in winter 2018. With two flights per day to Johannesburg, Virgin Atlantic expects to carry more than 300,000 passengers annually.
Virgin Atlantic Airlines has announced a second daily service from London Heathrow to Johannesburg Or Tambo aiport. The new flights went on sale on March 24 and will be operated by a Boeing 787-9.
The service will begin flying in winter 2018 with the first flight departing on October 28, 2018. With two flights per day, Virgin Atlantic expects to carry more than 300,000 passengers annually.
The departing flight will leave Heathrow at 16:45 and land in Johannesburg at 05:40 local time. The service will be the first Heathrow flight to land each morning.
The return flight will leave Johannesburg at 22:20 landing back into Heathrow at 07:30. The route has been timed to enable customers to easily connect onto flights with Virgin Atlantic and Delta.
Shai Weiss, chief commercial officer at Virgin Atlantic, said:
“Virgin Atlantic has been proud to serve South Africa for over 20 years. Johannesburg is one of the most popular destinations in our network so we’re delighted to add a second daily service to create even more travel opportunities for our customers.”
The new South African flights will offer 36 Economy Delight seats on each service—with priority check-in and boarding, free seat selection and 34-inch extra legroom seats.
Johannesburg is one of the most popular destinations in Africa and offers a number of attractions to suit any traveller’s taste. The city is rich with history and there are numerous points in Johannesburg relating to the history of Apartheid and the life of Nelson Mandela. Just beyond the city is the Cradle of Humankind, built on the site where two million year old human remains were found.
For visitors with more of an interest in the present than the past, Johannesburg offers a vibrant nightlife with numerous clubs and bars. Shopping is also a popular pastime in the city, which is home to several huge malls. And art lovers will find much to love in Johannesburg. The city is home to a wide array of art galleries, art museums, and murals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Discover everything the ‘Island of the Gods’ has to offer with a stay in the buzzing Seminyak area
- Incredible value upgrades to private pool rooms
- Free upgrade to Taum Studio Pool View room
- Complimentary shuttle to town centre and Petitenget Beach
Treat your family to an unforgettable adventure at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a wide range of dining options
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Easy access to the buzzing capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
Start your Cuban experience at the Nh Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...