Despite hurricanes, the Caribbean had a record tourism year
The Caribbean experienced two devastating hurricanes in 2017, and some islands in the region are still struggling to recover. In spite of the destruction caused by the storms, however, the region reported a record year for tourism. The region welcomed some 30 million visitors in 2017, a three percent increase over 2016.
The past year was not the best for the Caribbean. The region experienced two devastating hurricanes, but tourism to the region apparently did not suffer. The Caribbean welcomed a record 30 million visitors in 2017.
The islands saw $37 billion in total visitor spending in 2017, up three per cent from 2016, according to the report from the Barbados-based Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO).
“In short, despite the challenges in 2017, more visitors arrived in the Caribbean and they spent more.”
Said Hugh Riley, secretary general of the CTO, according to Travel Agent Central.
“Is that enough? Is our work now done? Not by a long way. The Caribbean, with our highly completive tourism products, has quite some distance to go.”
Not all Caribbean islands experienced the same increase, however. The numbers varied significantly across the region. St. Lucia saw a double-digit increase in visitors, while other islands’ arrivals were down by 20 per cent.
Hurricane Maria and Hurricane Irma devastated the region in the fall of 2017, leaving dozens dead and destroying buildings and infrastructure across the islands.
The economic recovery has varied greatly island to island, with geography and the path of the two storms serving as a strong determining factor. The Bahamas, for instance, survived largely unscathed and was welcoming visitors back to its shores within weeks of the hurricanes. Puerto Rico saw some of the worst destruction, and as of this writing, nearly half a million people there are still without power.
Many industry experts throughout the Caribbean have called for visitors to return to the region, citing the importance of the tourist dollar in rebuilding.
“One of the best things you can do is to come to this destination. It’s definitely going to help with the rebuilding efforts.”
Tourism is a significant industry throughout the region, directly supporting almost 700,000 jobs and indirectly supporting another 2.1 million. Tourism officials on the islands are encouraging foreign visitors to continue to visit the islands, noting that tourist dollars will help spur post-hurricane recovery.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay in the perfect base for a wonderful holiday, while being on the beach and close to the nightlife and golf courses
- Room upgrade from Junior to Master Suite
- Exclusive access to the VIP Lounge
- 24-hour room service included
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Enjoy a holiday filled with sun and sand at Be Live Collection Punta Cana. To give you a teaser, expect plenty of...
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...