St Lucia's Department of Tourism launches new project
The island of Saint Lucia, already a popular travel destination, hopes to attract even more tourists to the island with the announcement of a new project. The Department of Tourism, Information and Broadcasting hosted an event on January 25 that featured numerous tourism officials. Each year, approximately 350,000 tourists visit Tobago, making tourism one of the island's most lucrative industries.
St. Lucia’s Department of Tourism, Information and Broadcasting, along with the Project Coordination Unit of the Department of Economic Development, launched a new tourism initiative on January 25, at the Finance Administrative Centre in downtown Castries.
The launch featured presentations from Hon. Dominic Fedee, Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister with responsibility for Tourism, Information and Broadcasting; and Hon. Guy Joseph, Minister for Economic Development, Housing, Urban Renewal, Transport and Civil Aviation.
Also scheduled was a representative of the financing agency, John Anderson, Senior Economist of the World Bank Group. The project titled OECS Regional Tourism Competitiveness Project (ORTCP) is a tourism enhancement project for Saint Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenada, and is meant to facilitate the movement of tourists between the participating countries using ferries; improve selected tourism sites; and strengthen the capacity for regional tourism market development.
Invited guests to the launch will include a mix of senior officials from government agencies and ministries, the private sector, including the hotel sector, tour operators, taxi associations, vendors association, sections of the business sector in Castries, and port authority officials.
Some of the direct benefits to Saint Lucia from this project will be the enhancement and beautification of the city of Castries; the upgrade of the Castries market; improvements in the flow of traffic in Castries; the development of a sustainable tourism plan for Saint Lucia; the strengthening of the Saint Lucia Tourism Authority (SLTA) website and enhancement of the destination’s online presence; the development of a pilot ferry corridor to facilitate intra-regional travel; and the acquisition of scanners, and other Information Technology (IT) needs for immigration and customs clearance at the ferry terminal.
Saint Lucia is a small island, but one that possesses enough natural beauty for a much larger nation. The island is home to a number of pristine beaches and all-inclusive resorts. Tourism is a major part of the island’s economy, with roughly 350,000 visitors arriving on the island each year. The island is especially popular as a cruise destination and for couples who choose a destination wedding.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at the luxurious Bay Gardens Beach Resort
- Book 7 nights and get US$150 Resort Credit per room category per stay
- Two Kids (4-12 years) stay and eat free
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its breathtaking views and its golden sand
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Save upto 32% off on all room types
- Complimentary activities available, non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- All Inclusive beachfront resort in Choc Bay with 6 restaurants, 6 bars and a cafe to choose from
- FLASH Sale still on with savings of up to £300 per person in all room types
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with an adults section and family section complete with St Lucia's only water park
- Includes $1000 resort credit to be used in resort on Spa treatments, upgrades and more
- Extended offer of up to 70% off on all room types when staying plus up to 2 Kids stay and play FREE
Discover Castries lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of up to 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Additional Booking Bonus of up to £325 per booking on top of the 45% savings - please call for more details
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway at Rendezvous you and your loved one have always fantasised about with a stay on the...
Situated in the heart of Gros Islet is the magnificent Bay Gardens Inn, a classy resort set in lush tropical gardens....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings out...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...