New hotels on the horizon for Mexico in 2018
Tourism and hospitality continue to be a lucrative industry in Mexico. A number of new hotels opened in 2017, and even more are in the works for 2018. Grupo Posadas, the country's largest hotel operator, has several new properties in the works and plans to have 300 properties by 2020. Karisma Hotels & Resorts also has new hotels in development, with a focus on Baja California's wine country.
Hotel groups in Mexico had a busy year in 2017, and several ambitious new projects are in the pipeline for 2018. The country’s largest operator, Grupo Posadas, is a prime example. The company rebranded a dozen high-end resort properties under the La Colección portfolio and broke ground on some notable new properties as part of an ambitious growth program.
Rafael Lizarraga, commercial director for Hotelera Posadas, said:
“The goal of Posadas is to be operating 300 properties by 2020. We have lots of construction underway for the next few years.”
This year, the group will open the 135-room Live Aqua Urban Resort San Miguel de Allende. The property sits next to, and incorporates, an existing hacienda in the Santa María del Obraje area. The grounds include a cultural centre, meeting space, and spa and wellness facilities. It’s within walking distance to the many historic and cultural sites that make the city a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Guillermo Gonzalez, director of the San Miguel de Allende Tourism Board, said:
“Live Aqua is the top brand from Grupo Posadas, and it fits in very well with the ambience of our city. We’re very much looking forward to this new property, and welcoming visitors who may have experienced the Live Aqua concept in other settings.”
Additionally, Grupo Posadas also has plans for a 145-room Grand Fiesta Americana Oaxaca. The property broke ground in July 2017 near the popular El Llano Park. Published reports indicate that construction will take approximately 18 months.
Karisma Hotels & Resorts is also expanding into new territories, namely, Baja California’s increasingly popular wine country. This year brings an all-out push for El Cielo Vineyard, Villas and Spa by Karisma in the Valle de Guadalupe.
“It’s about an hour south from San Diego. We are building 30 two-bedroom villas there. You open the door of the balcony and you’re just in front of the vineyards of El Cielo, which means "heaven".”
Daniel Scheiman, Karisma’s senior business development manager for North America, says. The villas are particularly well-suited for the destination wedding and family group vacation market.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Perfect beach location in sunny Cancun to enjoy this all-inclusive holiday of a lifetime
- There is something to suit everyone's taste at the resort including 6 restaurants, 3 snack bars, 9 bars including 2 swim up bars
- Haven Riviera Cancun has an amazing location between Riviera Maya and Cancun on a stretch of uncrowded pristine beach
- Why not make your holiday extra special by upgrading to the Serenity Club which offers guests private check in and lounge, beachfront accommodation and extra VIP services and amenities.
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Adults only resort promising great parties - only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Haven Riviera Cancun Resort and Spa enjoys a fantastic location between Cancun and Riviera Maya on a stretch of...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
Discover a world of entertainment at the all-inclusive All Ritmo Cancun Resort and Waterpark in Cancun, Mexico, and join...