Maldives reveals plans for airport expansion and new island bridge
The Maldives has unveiled plans for a new bridge between the island housing its international airport and its capital city Male, that will be completed in mid-2018. The archipelago is also expanding its airport and will open a new runway for jumbo jets next year, followed by a new passenger terminal in 2019/20.
The Maldives has announced plans to expand its Velana International Airport to accommodate more planes and passengers, as well as the building of a new "friendship bridge" linking the airport island, Hulhule, to the country’s capital Male. The popular Indian Ocean beach holiday destination will open the new bridge and a new airport runway capable of handling jumbo jets in mid-2018.
The China-Maldives Friendship Bridge project, which was launched in 2015, is the first of its kind in the Maldives. It will be 1.4 kilometres long and 20 metres wide, linking Male’s eastern edge to the western corner of the island of Hulhule, where Velana International Airport is located. It will provide two lanes for four-wheeled vehicles as well as separate lanes for bicycles, motorcycles, and pedestrians.
Construction of the bridge began in 2016 and following its completion in mid-2018, the bridge will help to improve inter-island transport and economic development in the region by providing a reliable land connection for locals and holidaymakers between the capital Male, the airport, and the new youth city Hulhumale.
In time for the bridge opening, the airport will open a new runway. At 3,400 metres long and 60-metres wide, it will be able to accommodate the world’s largest passenger airliner – the Airbus A380 – and will likely increase airlift to the Maldives. Once completed, the existing runway will be used as a taxiway, reducing the turnaround time of aircrafts at the airport.
Work on a new passenger terminal for Velana International Airport is currently underway and is expected to be complete by 2019-20. Formerly known as Ibrahim Nasir International, the airport was rebranded earlier this year.
The Maldives’ Attorney General Mohamed Anil made the announcements at this year’s World Travel Market in London. He said the new developments in the Maldives will support the increasing demand for tourism to the island nation.
The UK continues to be an important inbound market for the Maldives with 68,007 UK tourists visiting the country from January – August 2017. This figure accounts for 7.6% of all tourists visiting the archipelago and is the second highest share across all inbound markets for the first half of 2017.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Discover the magic of two beautiful destinations in one unforgettable holiday
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the Marina Shopping Mall
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and crystal clear ocean with your nearest and dearest
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- Easy access to the buzzing capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin
- Gaze at the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in the Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
Kuredu Island Resort will be your home away from home during your holiday and you could hardly pick a more ideal place...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Smartline Eriyadu is located in the far North Western edge of the North Male Atoll. The island is perfect for a tropical...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....