Abu Dhabi sees 1.6 million visitors
Abu Dhabi welcomed almost 1.6 million visitors in the first quarter of 2017, a 7 per cent increase over the same period in 2016. Additionally, April of this year also saw an increase of 15 per cent in hotel guest arrivals. The city is hosting numerous festivals and cultural programmes throughout the year, and hotels and attractions will offer promotions in a bid to encourage tourism for the remainder of the year.
A recent report states that Abu Dhabi welcomed almost 1.6 million visitors in the first quarter of this year, which is a 7 per cent increase over the same period last year. And the growth continues, according to the report; the month of April continued to build on the growing number of visitors, with a 15 per cent increase in hotel guest arrivals.
According to the report, each of the top tourist source markets for Abu Dhabi—China, India, UK, US, Germany, and Saudi Arabia—have shown growth. Of these, China remains the largest overseas source market with 131,253 hotel guest arrivals, followed by India and the UK. The increase in visitors from China reflects the recent relaxation of entry rules with visa on arrival for visitors.
In addition to an increase in foreign visitors, domestic travel has increased in Abu Dhabi as well.
Saif Saeed Ghobash, director-general of TCA Abu Dhabi, said:
“Efforts to stimulate interest in our destinations continue unabated and we are encouraged by our latest hotel guest arrival results, which show strong progress. As we expand our year-round programme of events and develop new cultural and family attractions, we expect even greater traction in enticing people to explore the emirate.”
Among the reasons for Abu Dhabi’s growing appeal as a tourist destination is the recent accolade for the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, which was ranked by travellers as the world’s no. 2 favourite landmark for the second year in a row by travel planning and booking website TripAdvisor. In 2016, the mosque saw 5.2 million visitors.
The city is also host to a number of festivals and cultural events, including this year’s inaugural edition of “Manarat Al Saadiyat Ramadan Evenings.” Running from June 4 to 17, the event will feature a wide arrange of cultural experiences during the month of Ramadan. Numerous other festivals are scheduled for later in the year, with hotels and attractions offering promotions encouraging visitors to come to Abu Dhabi.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Taka advantage of the golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Discover the magic of two beautiful destinations in one unforgettable holiday
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the Marina Shopping Mall
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and crystal clear ocean with your nearest and dearest
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
Unwind and remove all the stresses of modern life with this amazing twin destination offer
- Enjoy a wide range of flavours and exoctic meal with the onsite restaurants
- Loose yourself in the Sheraton Spa and benefit from a plethora of treatments
- Visit the iconic and famous Taj Mahal
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
Stay in Downtown Abu Dhabi and be pampered by Arabian hospitality. The Holiday Inn Abu Dhabi offers excellent service...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...