Hundreds of dancers attempt World Record of giant salsa circle in Cuba
Dancers from Cuba and other parts of the world will be taking part in the Giant Casino Circle (officially called Rueda de Casino) today in an attempt to win an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records. The dancers are intending to make the world's largest Casino dancing circle at Artex's Salon Rosado de La Tropical in Cuba, as part of the Baila en Cuba Festival which is currently taking place in the capital and the events of which will carry on throughout the week.
Salsa dancers from all over the world will be gathering in Havana today and attempting to break a world record when they step up to the challenge of synchronisingly dancing in a Giant Casino Circle, officially known as "rueda de casino" (casino wheel).
The mega-dancing event is part of a series of activities that have been taking place all week at Salon Rosado de la Tropical, an Artex cultural centre in Havana, where more than 1,000 couples have been rehearsing for the big final attempt today.
The dancers are intending to win an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records and beat current record which is held by Greece when 1,102 people danced Casino for 7.16 minutes.
Hundreds of people of all ages and from many different backgrounds, including students, doctors, communicators, artists and mothers with children, will be joining in to what hopes to become the world's largest circular dance.
Part of the annual Baila en Cuba Festival that's currently taking place in Cuba all this week until 27th November, the record-breaking attempt has been sponsored by Artex’s cultural tourism agency, Paradiso, to celebrate the festival's tenth anniversary.
Every year the World Meeting of Casino and Salsa Dancers and Academies gathers more than 500 dancers and everyday people who are interested in learning the different musical genres and rhythms of Cuba’s culture such as mambo, cha cha chá, rumba.
During the world record attempt, dancers will be accompanied by music in the form of some famous pre-selected Cuban salsa tunes including Somos Diferente by Juan Formell, Baila en Cuba by Manolito Simonet, Somos Latinos by Adalberto Alvarez and Me dicen Cuba by Alexander Abreu.
Participants can also enjoy a series of concerts performed by the main Cuban bands where they can enjoy evenings of popular music at the Salon Rosado de la Tropical.
One 25th November, 2015, Paulo FG y su Élite and Pupy y los que Son will perform, 26th November, Jose Luis Cortez y NG La Banda and Maykel Blanco y su Salsa Mayor, and on 27th November, there will be the Closing Ceremony with Elito Revé y su Charangón and Alexander Abreu y Havana D´Primera.
Havana is a vibrant city that offers plenty of culture, traditions, authentic cuisine, historic architecture and Cuban charm.
The capital city boasts an array of tourist hotspots such as the Malecon, a seafront promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the old town square, Plaza de Armas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...