Abu Dhabi's Louvre opening delayed until 2016
The opening of the Louvre museum in Abu Dhabi has been pushed back until 2016 due to a delay in building work. The iconic museum was originally scheduled to open in 2012 but that was delayed until this year. Now, holidaymakers will have to wait until late 2016 until they can visit the Louvre on the Saadiyat Island.
The opening of the Louvre museum in Abu Dhabi has been delayed once again due to problems with building work.
Originally scheduled to open to the public in 2012, the launch was then delayed to this year. However, according to the chairman of state-owned Tourism Development and Investment Company (TDIC), Majed al Mansoori, the museum needs more building work and is not expected to open until late 2016.
Mr Mansoori explained in an email:
"Attention will now turn to the remaining work on the underside of the cladding and the Louvre Abu Dhabi remains on track for opening in the second half of 2016."
Though reasons were not given for the delay in building work on the $650 million project, the United Arab Emirates is experiencing a building boom which has led to a bottleneck as construction companies seek labourers, supplies and financing to complete huge backlogs of work.
The Louvre is part of a cultural district in Abu Dhabi that is being developed by the TDIC. It will feature branches of the Louvre and Guggenheim museums, and the Zayed National Museum.
The Guggenheim and Louvre museums will be built on the Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi. Located 500m of the coast of the mainland, Saadiyat Island is a world class leisure, residential, business and tourism hub.
The natural island will be home to luxury hotels, iconic landmarks, more than three million square metres of office space, marinas with berths for up to 1,000 boats, two championship golf courses, civic and leisure facilities, and sea-view apartments and upscale villas.
Situated on 27 square-kilometres of land, Saadiyat Island will feature seven districts and will be completed in phases up until 2020. One completed, over 160,000 people are expected to live there all year round, along with the thousands of international travellers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Experience the spectacular and beautiful Intercontinental Abu Dhabi
- A landmark hotel, prized for its white sandy beach, marina and variety of restaurants
- Upgrade to All Inclusive package! Call us now!
- Choose from a huge variety of prized buzzing restaurants overlooking the water
A breathtaking destination that will take you beyond your wildest dreams!
- Visit Yas Waterworld for over 15 hectares of water rides, slides, a lazy river and much more
- Great location with lots of attractions within close proximity
- Amazing range of leisure activities to enjoy at Radisson Blu Yas Island
Start off your holiday at Al Raha Beach followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
Treat yourself to a twin destination experience like no other in India and Abu Dhabi
- The Hilton Abu Dhabi is only a short stroll away from the Marina Mall and Heritage Village
- Sample tha amazing flavours from 15 award-winning restaurants, lounges and bars in Abu Dhabi
- Visit the impressive Taj Mahal in Agra
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
Smartline Eriyadu is located in the far North Western edge of the North Male Atoll. The island is perfect for a tropical...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...