Cuba is ready for the high season, says Minister of Tourism
As Cuba gears up to welcome the high season, the island's Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, has confirmed that the country is ready for its visitors. The minister said that hotels are ready to welcome foreign travellers as they begin to arrive to the island in high numbers to explore its historic cities and relax on its white sand beaches.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism has announced that the country is ready for visitors as the high tourist season approaches.
Manuel Marrero Cruz said that hotels in Cuba have undergone a rigorous enlistment process to ensure visitors receive a friendly and traditional welcome to help them create memorable experiences during their stays in the island over the next five months.
The minister said that there will be more than 61,000 rooms in hotels, beachfront resorts and apartments available to tourists throughout the island’s cities, nature areas and coastal regions. Cruz added that Cuba is also anticipating an increase in visitors from Russia this winter season.
Cuba is a Caribbean island nation located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. It boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, virgin cays, an array of historic towns and vibrant cities, and ancient many ruins and sites.
The main tourists destinations on the island are the vibrant capital of Havana with its decaying historic buildings, lively bars, and Cuban charm; the coastal resort of Varadero with more than 20 kilometres of sandy beaches and luxury beachfront hotels; Villa Clara that boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks; the Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling; and Holguin in eastern Cuba which is known as the City of Parks and the landing place of Christopher Columbus.
Last year, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority of visitors originating from Canada and Europe. This year, the tourism authorities are expecting to receive more than three million tourists by the end of December, with an increase in visitors from the United States.
Cuba travel for American residents has been prohibited for more than 50 years under the ongoing embargo, but in 2011, U.S President Obama eased restrictions for travellers who visit the island for religious, academic, educational and cultural purposes, or “people to people exchanges”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...