Cuba prepares for the first of 200 cruise ship arrivals this winter season
The winter season in Cuba officially starts on 21st November 2014 and the island is gearing up to welcome the arrival of more than 200 cruise ships over this period, which is also the island's peak tourism season. According to the Caribbean nation's tourism authorities, the ports with the most passenger arrivals will be Havana, Cienfuegos, and Santiago de Cuba.
As the winter season arrives in the Caribbean, the island of Cuba is getting ready to welcome more than 200 cruise ships over the next few months.
According to the tourism sector authorities in Cuba last week, the winter season will officially begin on 21st November, 2014 and it will last until April 2015.
The state-run Cubatur travel agency said that the port of Havana will welcome the arrival of approximately 2,000 cruise ship passengers on 21st November, most of them originating from Europe.
The ports with the most passenger entries are Havana, Cienfuegos in the central part of Cuba, and Santiago de Cuba on the eastern side of the island.
Cruise tourism in Cuba has significantly declined over recent years since the Spanish firm Pullmantur shut down its operations in the country in 2006. Tourism officials are now looking to increase cruise arrivals to the Caribbean nation with the help of international companies.
The city of Cienfuegos, which is located 250 kilometres southeast of Havana, is expecting to receive 53 cruise ships at its port during this winter high season. Other cruise arrivals expected in Cuba over the next few months include the Panorama, the Star Clippers, and Canadian Cuba Cruise, which will take tourists on a seven-day tour around the island.
In 2013, the country received approximately 2.85 million foreign tourists, with the majority of travellers arriving from Canada, the UK and Germany. This year, the country is expecting to receive more than three million visitors.
Tourism is Cuba’s second-biggest economic activity, after the export of technical and professional services, and tourism authorities are seeking new ways to diversify its offerings through cultural, nature, health, coastal and golf tours.
Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and the island is rich in breathtaking landscapes, culture, heritage and history. The country is home to pristine white and golden sand beaches, azure ocean waters, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world’s second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...