"Friends of Jazz" to meet in Santiago de Cuba
Hosted by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC) the new Friends of Jazz event will be gathering Cuba's most celebrated Jazz musicians who will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba, from 26th to 28th September this week, as announced by the organisation's local representative, Rodulfo Vaillant Garcia.
Calling all Jazz lovers and fans who are heading to Cuba this week (or who are lucky enough to already be enjoying holidays in the island). By the end of this week, some of Cuba's most acclaimed Jazz performers will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba to attend the third edition of Friends of Jazz, an annual event held by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC).
The hot date on the calendar when this event will be unfolding is from 26th to 28th September, which means we're just days away from a dazzling show of excellent Jazz performances.
Some of the performers that have confirmed attendance include Alfred Thomson and his quintet, Jose Luis Quintana (Changuito) and Cuban showman Bobby Carcasses, who will also be joined by local Jazz groups Influencias, Formas and Ivan Acosta with his group, Cuba Somos.
The event will be celebrated across various venues in Santiago de Cuba during the three-day festival. These include Patio de la Jutia Conga and the Iris Jazz Club in Plaza de Marte, which will both act as the main stages.
As well as the various music performances, conferences for Jazz students of the Conservatorio Esteban Salas and the Instituto Superior del Arte will take place on various dates. These academies in Santiago are known for having a high number of young Jazzists.
Other attendees that will perform include the Maracuya group from Camaguey, and Marcos and his threesome, from Palma Soriano.
Despite the fact that Cuba's Jazz movement is strongest in Havana, many historians argue that its popularity kick-stared in Santiago de Cuba, brought by black American soldiers that participated in the Hispanic-Cuban-American war.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...