Discover the best places to see nesting Sea Turtles in Costa Rica
Tulemar Resort in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica is honouring the 14th annual World Turtle Day by providing useful information about the best places to see nesting sea turtles in Costa Rica. The country has several protected turtle nesting areas throughout the country and five of the world's existing species of turtles can be found nesting on its shores at specific times of the year.
The 14th World Turtle Day was honoured all around the globe on Friday 23rd May, 2014 and one resort in Costa Rica, honoured the annual event by providing useful information about the country's best sea turtle nesting sites.
The Tulemar Resort in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica is a coastal resort surrounded by 33 acres of jungle rainforest and Dave Houck, a spokesperson for the resort, has been offering advice on the best times and places to see the beautiful marine creatures.
Five of the world's seven existing species of sea turtles come to the shores of the Central American country every year to build their nests in the sand. Dave Houck explained:
"With locations on both the Pacific and Caribbean coasts, few places in the world have as many sea turtle nesting sites as Costa Rica. We are even beginning to see a small number of the Olive Ridley turtles return to nest on our beaches in Manuel Antonio which is very exciting."
The most popular places and times to catch sightings of nesting sea turtles in the Costa Rica include:
- Olive Ridleys - Santa Rosa National Park and Ostional National Wildlife Refuge in Guanacaste between July to December and sometimes between January and June.
- Leatherbacks - Las Baulas National Marine Park near Tamarindo (early October to mid-February) and Tortuguero National Park on the Caribbean coast from February to June.
- Green turtles and Loggerheads - Tortuguero National Park between July to mid-October.
- Hawksbills - Tortuguero National Park and Cahuita on the Caribbean side between April and October.
Dave Houck also commented:
"The size, the strength, and the beauty of the sea turtle is amazing. Visitors who are lucky enough to see one of these incredible sea creatures come ashore to nest will never forget it. It humbles you and reminds us how unbelievable Mother Nature is."
Costa Rica is one of the most popular destinations in the world for eco-friendly holidays and the country has made efforts to protect the endangered sea turtles by declaring protected turtle nesting areas throughout the country.
Costa Rica boasts some of the world's most breathtaking natural landscapes made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, majestic mountains, pristine beaches, and cascading waterfalls.
The nation has gained a reputation as destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures and tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- See the natural wonders of Costa Rica
- Sky Walk Arenal’s Hanging Bridges
- Includes Sarapiqui River Rafting class
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot to learn about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
Located on the stunning Papagayo Peninsula in Guanacaste
- Activities galore including water aerobics, walks, themed nights, movies, cooking, volleyball, pilates and more.
- 3 romantic wedding packages, all including wedding cake, sparkling wine toast, honeymoon package, and free anniversary nights.
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...
Visit every nature-lover's paradise while relaxing on an 8-day holiday at the all-inclusive Occidental Papagayo Resort,...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...