OFAC approve more licences for "people-to-people" Cuba travel
After restrictions on Cuba travel were eased by President Obama's administration in 2011, more companies have now been approved to offer Cuba holidays for American residents. Over the last two weeks alone, five travel companies have received their licences for cultural people-to-people programmes from the U.S. to Cuba.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is set to receive more tourists over the coming months as more travel and tour companies in the United States get the go-ahead for licences for cultural "people-to-people" programmes from the U.S. to Cuba.
In 2011, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents, allowing them to travel to the island for cultural, religious, academic, and educational purposes.
Over the past two weeks, five more companies have been approved to provide Cuba holidays for American after they were granted a licence from .the US. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
One of these travel companies is Abercrombie and Kent USA who had attempted to provide Cuba travel for Americans in 2011 but it pulled its programmes pending a review from OFAC.
The company's licence has now been approved and their first trip to Cuba will launch on 6th September, 2013 with additional departures scheduled for later this year and 2014.
Two travel companies received their two-year license renewals. Insight Cuba's programmes in partnership with General Tours World Traveler now operate Cuba travel programmes until 2015.
"We're thrilled to receive our renewed license and look forward to our continued relationship with General Tours to send even more guests to Cuba."
Stated Tom Popper, the President of Insight Cuba.
Bob Drumm, the President of General Tours World Traveler, said the renewal was "fantastic news for us and the agent community," and that agents can book clients "even further in advance with complete peace of mind. A key message that agents need to relay is that now is the time to visit and experience Cuba before it changes."
Road Scholar, a Boston-based group, will be providing "people-to-people" programmes in December, 2013 until March, 2014. Travellers taking holidays to Cuba with the company will travel on a cruise ship which is operated by a Canadian company.
While the vessel can carry up to 1,000 travellers, most of whom will be Canadians and Europeans, the Road Scholar group is limited to 24 participants and it will use its own itinerary of educational and cultural interchanges and interactions with Cubans when the ship is in Cuban ports.
Universal Travel System and Tauck Tours are the two other companies who will provide itineraries for travel to Cuba later this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for an adventure-filled break
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...