Discover the spirit of Jamaica at the Emancipation Jubilee
The annual Jamaican Emancipation Jubilee is one of the most vibrant and exciting events on the island's calendar, with thousands of locals and visitors coming together to celebrate Jamaica's African ancestors.
This year's theme for the event is Forever Free, with numerous performances by national and international groups set to take place, including the likes of Jonkunu, George Nooks, the Fab 5 Band, Port Morant Kumina and Tashina McKenzie.
For holidaymakers, this is a fantastic opportunity to learn more about Jamaica's heritage and to discover some of the upbeat and vibrant local music, with a host of performers due to take to the stage between 20:30 local time on July 31st and the early hours of August 1st, making this something of an all-night music marathon.
You can dance the night away to steel drum music, reggae tunes and gospel choirs, while there will be a range of local foods available from vendors at the festival, giving you a chance to get a real taste of Jamaica, too.
The Jamaican Emancipation Jubilee has been running for 17 years now and it marks one of the first contacts between people from the Americas, Africa and Europe, all of whom have had an influence on the nation's culture over the centuries.
In fact, the venue for the celebrations is worth a visit in its own right, as the Seville Heritage Park boasts some fascinating exhibits relating to the lives of the Tainos, Africans and Europeans who have all inhabited the island. It's worth pointing out, however, that the park is closed on Emancipation Day due to preparations for the evening's entertainment.
If you're staying in Ocho Rios, though, you'll be within easy reach of this attraction, so can visit it ahead of the Emancipation Jubilee and then join the crowds of revellers on July 31st to discover the spirit of Jamaica and its vibrant culture in all its glory.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Located on Trelawny Beach
- Good value property for those on a Budget
- Adults only All Inclusive Resort
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Discounts of up to 30% off all room types included plus One Child stays free per paying adult
- Leave your daily stresses behind and relax with the magical spa services
- A wide selection of restaurants with an international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to Jamaican delicacies
Rekindle your senses at the Couples Tower Isle and enjoy complimentary excursions at this luxury resort on Jamaica's stunning north coast
- Includes free excursions & transfers
- 6 dining options and 5 bars; 1 on a private island
- Premium brand drinks included
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- Endless daytime activities such as snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & many more
- The adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited-Luxury® including 24-hour room service
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights....
The Hilton Rose Hall is a five-star establishment in this area that sits strategically between the beautiful Blue...
Your relaxing stay at the adults only Sunset at the Palms starts with a complimentary fast-track service through Montego...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled one mile away from the town of Negril, The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to a multitude of...
If you're looking for a beautiful, elegant and exotic venue to celebrate a wedding, enjoy a honeymoon, or simply spend...