American Photographers capture Havana through their lens during Cuba holiday
Cuba's capital city Havana is welcoming an increase in American travellers after U.S President Barrack Obama relaxed travel restrictions on travel to Cuba in 2011. Tourists from the United States are now able to visit the Caribbean island for cultural and educational purposes and such as photography excursions and one company recently visited the country to take advantage of the change in law.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has been off-limits for many American tourists for decades but since the U.S President, Barack Obama, eased travel restrictions for U.S residents in 2011, many travellers have been given the opportunity to visit the communist-run nation.
Obama's administrations eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for cultural, religious and educational groups from the United States, and one group of photographers recently took advantage of the changes in the law by taking a trip to the country's capital city, Havana.
Scott Loftesness took part in a tour led by a team from Santa Fe Photographic Workshops in the United States. The 42 photographers arrived to Cuba at Jose Marti International Airport in Havana from Miami, one of the most popular airports for flights from the United States to Cuba.
During their time in Cuba, the photographers took daily dawn walks around the neighbourhoods surrounding Old Havana and Central Havana to capture the beautiful and historic architecture and scenery through the lens of their cameras.
As well as improving their photography skills, the group was able to explore the vibrant city which is thriving with historic and modern Havana hotels, theatres, bars, nightclubs and restaurants.
In Havana City, tourists can soak up Cuba's culture and energetic atmosphere by exploring historical sites, walk along winding cobbled streets, and mingling with the high-spirited local residents.
Holidaymakers who are looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city can relax in Parque Central amid fragrant gardens and peaceful surroundings.
Old Havana boasts baroque and neo-classical architecture and buildings and is currently undergoing restoration by the Cuban government to attract more visitors to explore its historical piazzas and streets.
There is plenty to see and do all year round during holidays in Cuba in this vivacious city, including the Havana International Ballet Festival, the Havana International Film Festival, the famous Habanos Cigar Festival, and the Havana Jazz Festival which features performances from Cuba's finest musicians, as well as appearances from international artists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...