Cuba's holiday industry breaks records in 2012 with number of tourist arrivals
2012 proved to be yet another successful year for Cuba's booming holiday industry with record tourism figures marking a 4.5 per cent growth in the island's tourist sector. According to official figures revealed by Cuba's Granma newspaper, over 2.8 million travellers took Cuba holidays last year.
Reports from Cuba’s official tourism sources have revealed how 2012 proved to be yet another successful year for the island’s holiday industry with more tourists than ever enjoying Cuba holidays for leisure, sun and sea relaxation, exciting eco-adventures and historical tours.
As of the end of 2012 Cuba had officially received 2,838,478 foreign tourists, a record-breaking figure that consolidates the Caribbean nation’s reputation as one of the most coveted holiday destinations in the region despite its current economic woes and the dire situation of the wider global economic climate.
According to official reports published by Cuba’s Granma newspaper, the recent increase in last year’s tourist numbers marks an overall 4.5 per cent tourism growth which coincides with the expected average estimation of between 3 and 4 per cent growth in the wider Caribbean travel industry.
The market of international tourists that opt for relaxing or culturally-enriching holidays in Cuba includes travellers from Canada – which top the number of visitors with over one million holidaymakers for the second consecutive year – and emerging markets like Russia and South America with new visitors coming from Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Peru, China, Brazil and other countries.
Sun and sea tourism continues to attract the largest number of travellers heading on holidays to Cuba, with the areas that received the most visitors including the beach resorts of Varadero and the Cayo Coco and Santa Maria keys.
Holidaymakers choosing Cuba as their holiday destination have also been sowing growing interest in tourist programmes related to cultural and historic values, and nature. Other activities like medical tourism, events and incentives have also contributed to the diversification of the tourist sector, which expects to increase its contribution to the country’s economy in 2013.
According to the World Tourism Organisation, the sector saw important growth in the first eight months of 2012, with a record figure of 705 million international arrivals around the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...