The Caribbean shows Recovery from Recession with New Hotels and Attractions
Tourists planning Caribbean holidays will have more hotels, resorts and attractions to choose from as the region bounces back from the recession. Visitors can take advantage of special all inclusive promotions and holiday reductions over the coming months
The Caribbean is seeing a rise in international tourists following a few turbulent years brought on by the global recession, increased APD, and seasonal hurricanes.
The tropical region has been fighting back despite the series of adverse events and travellers are once again being enticed to take Caribbean holidays as hotels and resorts offer huge discounts and promotions.
President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, Josef Forstmayr, is optimistic about the future of the region and said: “The world may go to hell in a handbasket, but [tourists] still go to the Caribbean. We expect a good winter season.”
He added that one incentive drawing tourists planning holidays to the Caribbean this autumn and winter season is the fact that room rates for Caribbean hotels and resorts are still considerably lower than rates in 2008, before the recession started.
“There are some fantastic deals out there,” Forstmayr explained. "Some all-inclusives are posting deals with rates up to 65 percent off.”
Hugh Riley, the Secretary-General of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, commented: “While we had a record number of arrivals in 2010 — 23 million — our members have had to do significant discounting.
“Yes, that’s good for the consumer, and we’re happy they’re here. But it’s very clear we can’t lose $10 on every passenger and keep it up.”
Several all inclusive resorts are seeing an increase in visitors taking Caribbean holidays with many tourists choosing Caribbean packages covering lodging, food, beverages, leisure activities and entertainment.
“Last year was a record year for us, and so were the first four months of 2011,” said Gordon “Butch” Stewart, founder of Sandals Resorts. The company operates 20 luxury properties across the Caribbean providing all inclusive St Lucia, Antigua, Bahamas and Jamaica holidays for families, couples and groups of friends.
New properties are popping up in the Dominican Republic including the 1,800-room Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana which opened its doors in January, 2011; the Salamander Marina and Beach Resort at Cap Cana which is scheduled to open its Fishing Lodge Cap Cana on 1st October, 2011 with 302 Mediterranean-style villas; and Barcelo Bavaro which is due to open a 234-room “golf section” property in Punta Cana in November to serve alongside its newest golf course.
Perhaps the largest Caribbean project currently underway is the huge Baha Mar project on Cable Beach in Nassau, Bahamas. The $3.4 billion complex is said to be the largest single-phase resort development in the Caribbean and is scheduled to open in 2014. The 1,000-acre complex will feature six resorts, a casino and an entertainment and dining complex.
The one area that continues to struggle is the price of Caribbean flights as the rising cost of oil forces up the price of airplane fuel, leading to the rise in airfares.
“It’s our greatest challenge,” Forstmayr said.
New attractions have been introduced to attract travellers taking holidays in the Caribbean including St. Lucia’s first casino, Treasure Bay Casino, a teen club at Atlantis Paradise Island, a mini-submarine in Curaçao, and an automotive museum on Grand Cayman.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions on offer
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...