British Airways Increases Fuel Surcharge for Caribbean Holidays
Travellers will have to pay even more for their Caribbean holidays as British Airways announces that it has increased its fuel surcharge on longhaul flights effective from Friday 8th April, 2011 and due to the increasing price of oil.
Caribbean holidays have been dealt another blow as British Airways announced last week that it will be increasing the fuel surcharge on long-haul flights from 8th April, 2011.
The increase has been applied because of the recent rise in the cost of oil but the airline has stated that this surcharge will not be increased on domestic or short-haul flights.
Chief Financial Officer of British Airways, Nick Swift, said: “It’s with real regret that we are having to increase our long-haul fuel surcharge. As customers will know from the price at the petrol pumps, the cost of fuel has continued to rise significantly over the past three months.
“For us, fuel now represents over one third of our costs and particularly affects our long-haul flights. We are very aware of the wider economic pressures on our customers at the moment and we will bear the vast majority of the recent fuel price rise ourselves to keep this increase in surcharge to a minimum.”
This will mean that long-haul non-premium flights will cost an extra £10 per sector, with World Travellers (economy) flights less than nine hours, increasing from £75 a sector to £85, and flights over nine hours will increase from £88 a sector to £98. Long-haul tickets will increase by £20 per sector.
Last month the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, announced in his annual Budget that Air Passenger Duty (APD) would be frozen for 12 months, but the tax is likely to increase even more next year. Though the freeze was welcomed by the Caribbean tourism industry, concerns are now being voiced over the further increase of APD next year which will have a severe impact on the number of travellers from the UK who book Caribbean holidays and the Caribbean’s economy.
British Airways operates a wide range of flights to the Caribbean from the UK and provides weekly routes for St Lucia holidays, Jamaica holidays and Dominican Republic holidays; all of which will be affected by the increase of the fuel surcharge.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable
- Kids and Teens Stay Free
- Exclusive Room Upgrade
- Up to $2,500 Resort Credit
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Enjoy a holiday filled with sun and sand at Be Live Collection Punta Cana. To give you a teaser, expect plenty of...
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...