Cuba Minister says island is ready for increase in U.S tourists
The Cuban Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, has announced that the Caribbean island is ready to welcome the influx of travellers taking Cuba holidays if the ongoing travel ban is lifted by the United States Authorities.
After President Obama eased the restrictions on travel to Cuba for religious, academic, cultural and educational purposes last week, Manuel Marrero, the Cuba Tourism Minister has said that the island is ready for a rise in visitors should the ban be lifted on tourists too.
Mr, Marrero said: "The opening of U.S. tourism to Cuba would mean the arrival of large flows that would place that country as the main tourist issuer for the island."
Tourists from the United States have been unable to enjoy Cuba holidays for over five decades because of a travel and trade embargo which was put in place in 1960.
Restrictions have been eased on travellers of Cuban origin returning to the Caribbean island to visit family and last week the U.S President eased travel for educational, cultural and cultural reasons but many travellers are still awaiting the full lift of the ban on Cuba holidays for U.S citizens.
Mr Marrero added that development of the Cuba holiday industry is not reliant on the possible lifting of the travel embargo and that it has an established tourism market with travellers from all over the world.
"We are not waiting for the end of restrictions from the White House, because we would have not then reached the levels of tourism development and diversification that we have today," he explained.
Last year, Cuba saw 2.5 million holidaymakers arrive on the island and stay in Cuba hotels and resorts, with the majority of travellers originating from Canada, followed by the United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Russia, Argentina and Mexico.
"The United States is the only country in the world whose citizens do not have the right to visit Cuba," Marrero commented.
If the U.S authorities lifted the travel to Cuba ban the beautiful Caribbean island could see an estimated 1.7 million tourists from America visiting the region each year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...