Jamaica holidays break the 1m visitor mark
Jamaica is now celebrating this year's success in the tourism and travel industry after hitting the 1 million mark of arrivals by tourists, proving that the island has managed to pull through the many challenges the Caribbean holidays industry is facing.
This year Jamaica holidays have been faring well despite the many national and international challenges the country has had to face. Jamaican Tourism is celebrating the latest in a series of exciting milestones, with more than one million visitors reaching the Caribbean island during the first six months of this year.
This is the first time the island has welcomed so many visitors during such a short period, illustrating the robust strength of the recovery in the Caribbean holidays market, following the global recession.
Figures released from the Jamaica Tourism Organisation (JTO) revealed a total of 1,010,896 foreigner visitors passed through the island between January 1st and June 30th this year.
This represents a 4.1 % increase on the figures held for the same period of 2009, with earnings from visitor arrivals also up by 2.4%to US$1.9 billion.
However, the Ministry of Tourism also said that during the period both cruise passenger arrivals as well as earnings from the sub-sector declined. Delays with the new Falmouth cruise terminal may further hinder the future development of this sector insiders have warned.
Nevertheless, Jamaican tourism minister Ed Bartlett expressed his optimism on the hospitality industry and the performance of Jamaica holidays, which he expects to continue to improve. According to Bartlett, there were positive signs in the months of July, August and September.
He further added that the increased arrivals and earnings come at a time when the worldwide recession is taking a toll on economies of the world and during a period when holidays in Jamaica were affected by the island's own civil challenges.
The Caribbean island will also be celebrating later today when the World Travel Awards celebrates its Americas Gala Ceremony at the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall Resort and Spa offers a dream holiday
- Save upto 32% on all room types
- 2 Kids 14 years and under stay free*
- All Inclusive Resort with a selection of options
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Discounts of up to 30% off all room types included plus One Child stays free per paying adult
- Leave your daily stresses behind and relax with the magical spa services
- A wide selection of restaurants with an international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to Jamaican delicacies
Let time stand still at Jamaica' award winning resort where each morning, you awake to the sounds and scents of wild and pristine nature.
- New on Property Personal Sunset Concierge to help personalize your stay and ensure it is stress-free
- Incredible Savings of upto 45% plus enjoy complimentary access to the Club Mo Bay Lounge while waiting for your transfer
- Good selection of beverages and cocktails at any of the 3 bars and swim-up bar
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- Endless daytime activities such as snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & many more
- The adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited-Luxury® including 24-hour room service
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights....
The Hilton Rose Hall is a five-star establishment in this area that sits strategically between the beautiful Blue...
Your relaxing stay at the adults only Sunset at the Palms starts with a complimentary fast-track service through Montego...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled one mile away from the town of Negril, The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to a multitude of...
If you're looking for a beautiful, elegant and exotic venue to celebrate a wedding, enjoy a honeymoon, or simply spend...