Group of Americans who defied ban on travel to Cuba returned to US
A group of twenty-nine Americans who decided to travel to Cuba against the rules of the current US embargo which bans US travellers from freely visiting the island, returned to America on Monday after being escorted across the Peace Bridge by a police.
Twenty-nine Americans from the Venceremos Brigade defied the US embargo which bans travel to Cuba for American travellers, and entered the Caribbean island earlier this month.
The US travellers spent two weeks in Cuba before returning to American soil after clearing an inspection by Customs and Border Protection. The group walked from Canada across the Peace Bridge in to Buffalo, U.S, where they were inspected and then escorted the rest of the way by a Buffalo police officer.
Upon their return, the American group were chanting for an end to the ban which has stopped travel to Cuba for U.S citizens for nearly 50 years.
According to a Customs and Border Patrol spokesperson, Kevin Corsaro, no members of the group were detained and would not be unless any invalid travel documents or illegal imports were found.
When the travellers returned they were instructed to complete questionnaires at customs, but many of the group said they left blank anything that might be considered illegal, such as any purchases made in Cuba.
The nationwide organisation, Venceremos Brigade, has been sending groups of travellers to Cuba for the past 41 years to show their support in lifting the ban on travel to Cuba and trading between the two countries.
Ann Sparanese, a member of the Venceremos Brigade, held a placard demanding the right to free travel while she waited for the group's arrival.
"We don't even have to change our signs. We can have the same signs for 50 years," she said. "But we're not going to give up. The policy will end. It has to end, it's so insane."
Last year, President Barack Obama softened the embargo to allow American residents to take Cuba holidays to visit relatives who lived there. However, U.S travellers without family members on the island are still prohibited to freely travel to Cuba.
Last month, the House Agriculture Committee voted to lift the ban to make it easier to sell American agriculture exports but President Obama has stated that he will not support the lifting of the ban until the communist Cuban government improves human rights and political freedom in the country.
One of the members of the Venceremos Brigade, Liz Afton from New York, who returned with the group on Monday spoke of the time in Cuba and said that they were warmly received by local Cubans.
"People were able to make a distinction between us as individuals and the actions of our government," she said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...