Increase in Middle East travellers enjoying Sri Lanka holidays
According to the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority, the number of travellers from the Middle Eastern region of Bahrain enjoying Sri Lanka holidays has increased by 145 percent during the first half of this year.
The number of Middle East travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays is rising according to the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority. In the first half of 2010, there was a 142 percent increase in visitors from Bahrain on Sri Lanka holidays and a 102 percent increase in general Middle Eastern travellers visiting the region.
Middle East Director of Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau, Heba Al Mansoori, explained:
"Regardless of apprehensions of an unsteady global economy, Middle East travellers are spending time and money on travel and Sri Lanka has been one of the preferred destinations with a meteoric rise in tourists during the first half of the year.
"While 2009 was when the recovery process started, with the end of three decades of war, the rebound has been robust and rapid and the recovery is being driven and led by the Middle East with strong growth from key markets including the UAE which was up by 209pc, Saudi Arabia up by 96pc, Qatar by 252pc and Kuwait up by 95pc.
"Sri Lanka's tourism industry is resilient and the government is sparing no efforts to revitalise the industry as they recognise that tourism has a key role to play in the country's economic recovery and stability."
The surge in visitors enjoying holidays in Sri Lanka are welcomed by local business, Sri Lanka hotels and the tourism industry after a turbulent 25 years with the civil war. Since the war ended last year, the stunning island saw an almost instant increase in tourist booking Sri Lanka holidays and business trips.
Mansoori added: "Our outlook remains positive for the rest of the year as we have successfully built a relationship of trust with both regional consumers and the travel trade and will continue to reap benefits with the gradually improving economic situation."
"In the Middle East in particular, travelling closer and for shorter periods of time and demanding value for money, seem to have been accentuated during the post-crisis period.
"The regional outbound market is evolving and inescapably requires changes as we need to know and understand consumers better to be able to market to them."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy the peace and quiet with a good choice of amenities and a great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Indulge your senses in this idyllic Sri Lankan tropical getaway
- Enjoy numerous kids' activities and entertainment, giving parents a carefree experience
- Take advantage of the comprehensive leisure facilities available
- A sensuous range of treatments and therapies on offer at the Aayu Spa
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- Transport in a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
- Fabulous dining, nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation in both destinations
Turyaa Kulutara is located in the idyllic island of Sri Lanka. Beautifully secluded and surrounded by lush vegetation,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
You can enjoy the perfect beach holiday at the all-inclusive Club Dolphin hotel, whether looking for peace and quiet or...