Cuba holidays taking all precautions for the possibility of the oil spread reaching its shores
Even when it is still unclear whether the oil spill will eventually extend all the way to Cuban shores, the island's authorities are staying alert and preparing well in advance of the possible oil disaster.
Planning ahead of the possible massive coastal damage that the oil spill could cause to the pristine condition of beach Cuba holidays, the country is sending out a clear message to alert the country's authorities. Cuba's civil defence chief said Tuesday that civil servants are preparing coastal residents for the oil spill expanding across the Gulf of Mexico. A top military official placed a strong emphasis on the fact that the spillage's possible arrival to Cuba's coasts would be "a disaster" of incredible proportions that could seriously affect the quality of Cuba holidays in the affected beach resorts.
While it is still is unclear whether some of the millions of gallons of spilled crude will reach Cuba, the government's most prominent scientists appeared on state television within days of the April 20 rig explosion that touched off the spill to say the island was not immediately at risk.
So far there has been no apparent impact on tourism to the island's breathtaking north coast beaches.
"In Cuba we have had small spills involving tankers on our coasts, but we've never had to confront anything of this magnitude," Gen. Ramon Espinosa, vice minister of the armed forces, said at a government meeting on natural disaster preparedness.
"Nonetheless we are documenting and studying. We are preparing with everything in our power."
Espinosa provided no details on preparations, but added that "for Cuba it would be a disaster" if the spill hits.
Some oil has already reached the coast of Florida, and scientists worry that crude will get caught up in the loop current, a ribbon of warm water that begins in the Gulf of Mexico and wraps around Florida.
U.S. and Cuban officials have put aside nearly 50 years of frigid relations to hold working-level talks on how to respond. Espinosa said he had no information on any concrete cooperation.
Speaking on the sidelines of the same event, Ramon Pardo, head of Cuban civil defense, also said he could not comment on discussions with Washington.
But Pardo said Havana "is taking all precautions: the preparation of the coast, vigilance, creating all necessary conditions, preparing the people who live on the coasts that could be impacted."
Both Espinosa and Pardo said the island will rely on the expertise of Venezuela, one of Cuba's top allies and one of the world's major oil producers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...