Cuba holidays taking all precautions for the possibility of the oil spread reaching its shores
Even when it is still unclear whether the oil spill will eventually extend all the way to Cuban shores, the island's authorities are staying alert and preparing well in advance of the possible oil disaster.
Planning ahead of the possible massive coastal damage that the oil spill could cause to the pristine condition of beach Cuba holidays, the country is sending out a clear message to alert the country's authorities. Cuba's civil defence chief said Tuesday that civil servants are preparing coastal residents for the oil spill expanding across the Gulf of Mexico. A top military official placed a strong emphasis on the fact that the spillage's possible arrival to Cuba's coasts would be "a disaster" of incredible proportions that could seriously affect the quality of Cuba holidays in the affected beach resorts.
While it is still is unclear whether some of the millions of gallons of spilled crude will reach Cuba, the government's most prominent scientists appeared on state television within days of the April 20 rig explosion that touched off the spill to say the island was not immediately at risk.
So far there has been no apparent impact on tourism to the island's breathtaking north coast beaches.
"In Cuba we have had small spills involving tankers on our coasts, but we've never had to confront anything of this magnitude," Gen. Ramon Espinosa, vice minister of the armed forces, said at a government meeting on natural disaster preparedness.
"Nonetheless we are documenting and studying. We are preparing with everything in our power."
Espinosa provided no details on preparations, but added that "for Cuba it would be a disaster" if the spill hits.
Some oil has already reached the coast of Florida, and scientists worry that crude will get caught up in the loop current, a ribbon of warm water that begins in the Gulf of Mexico and wraps around Florida.
U.S. and Cuban officials have put aside nearly 50 years of frigid relations to hold working-level talks on how to respond. Espinosa said he had no information on any concrete cooperation.
Speaking on the sidelines of the same event, Ramon Pardo, head of Cuban civil defense, also said he could not comment on discussions with Washington.
But Pardo said Havana "is taking all precautions: the preparation of the coast, vigilance, creating all necessary conditions, preparing the people who live on the coasts that could be impacted."
Both Espinosa and Pardo said the island will rely on the expertise of Venezuela, one of Cuba's top allies and one of the world's major oil producers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...