International Tourism Conference to discuss the future of Cuba holidays to be held in Havana
The US-Cuba travel dilemma continues to drive much heated debate across all those interested from both sides. Travel agents and tour operators continue to speculate about the possibility of Cuba holidays for American citizens once the travel ban is lifted
Exploring the opening of Cuba holidays to the American travel and tourism market, the International Convention of Tourist Studies is scheduled to held in Havana, Cuba from 12th -16th July, 2010. Complete information and a registration form will be available in Spanish and English at cietcuba.com for those companies, businesses and organisations interested on Cuba hollidays and wishing to participate
As Cuba holidays are rapidly becoming a prime holiday destination in the Caribbean and a top choice for worldwide tourists who each year decide to take Caribbean holidays. The island registered a record-breaking number of 2.4 million visitors to the island last year. Specialists in the travel and tourism sector from all countries but the US can choose to attend to these seminars and conferences held around the subject of Cuba holidays, their present, their future and the many possibilities. American participation is currently hampered by regulations seeking to forbid Cuban organised academic conferences.
The rules were promulgated in 2004 by the Bush Administration for reasons of domestic politics and have not yet been modified by President Obama. However, according to the Washington Post, the White House had been "expected to further loosen remaining travel restrictions for all Americans" in April 2009.
The Hill newspaper reported more specifically that the original intent was to "allow U.S. citizens to travel to Cuba for cultural, academic and humanitarian purposes", but only unlimited Cuban American family reunion visits were authorized to avoid a battle with Cuban-American Senator Robert Menendez (D, NJ).
If the Administration does not finish the job by permitting all educational travel soon enough, qualified Americans can still legally travel to Cuba for purposes of full time professional research under a general license that does not require application.
The legislation in the US Congress (HR 4645, S 3112) that will finally restore to all Americans the right to legally take Cuba holidays has a reasonable chance of passage this summer.
Recent polls report that 61 to 67% of Americans favor the end of restrictions on Cuba travel and 33 to 38% wish to make the journey themselves.
Estimates are that 500,000 to one million US citizens will go in the first year after the ban is lifted and the numbers will grow substantially and quickly.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Start your Cuban experience at the Nh Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...