World class facilities for disabled travellers on Barbados holidays
The Barbados Council for the Disabled has been praised for their ongoing efforts to provide comfortable and hassle-free Barbados holidays for people with disabilities, thanks to their Fully Accessible Barbados (FAB) programme.
Catering for the market of disabled travellers, the Barbados Council for the Disabled has stepped up to offer those with disabilities great Barbados holidays during which they are well looked after. During the recent 11th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism Development (STC-11) theBarbados Deputy Leader of the Senate, Kerry-Ann Ifill said that the Barbados Council for the Disabled has created a unique world-class product, especially crafted for the disabled to enjoy great and accessible Barbados holidays. According to Ifill the Council is "keeping the right balance" through its great and innovative programme - Fully Accessible Barbados (FAB).
Ifill added that FAB was a new wave in the Caribbean holidays world and that this Barbados programme was setting a fine example for other Caribbean holiday destinations to follow. "It's quite a small wave currently - more of a ripple in the distance - but it's set to become a veritable tsunami. Its pioneers are those who believe hotels, restaurants and places of interest should welcome all guests equally, regardless of any disability they might have."
While praising and congratulating the newly renovated Harrisons Cave for signing onto the programme, she expressed how many more Barbados hotels should follow suit and look into upgrading their accessibility facilities to comply with the programme and become a disability-friendly hotel catering to this sensitive segment of the Barbados holidays market. She also added that FAB was intended not only to help but also to award public and private sector initiatives that had made their facilities and services accessible for all. Ms. Ifill also highlighted that the programme was also designed to promote Barbados holidays as an ideal Caribbean destination with the country being an inclusive society, and it helped raise the awareness of the local business community to the benefits of receiving an access award. Furthermore, the programme also aims to raise the standard of service delivery by incorporating a "universal design".
In the Senator's own words - "ultimately, accessible tourism in Barbados and the Caribbean is an issue of equity, economics, and citizenship. Quite simply, if countries and service providers are not preparing for the inevitable ageing of the population and the increasing expectations of people with disabilities, they are not acting in a socially-sustainable manner".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Great Location as a base to discover Barbados
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- September Sale now on with discounts of up to 15% off all rooms and a Special offer in Superior Ocean Front Studios
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Sugar Bay Barbados is perfect for discovering Bajan Paradise in an All Inclusive Resort
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- September Sale now on with savings of upto 40% PLUS $20 Spa Credit per person
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Beachfront Property a short walk from the popular St Lawrence Gap
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...