CeltFest 2010 entertains tourists on Cuba holidays
Many travellers on Cuba Holidays in Havana experienced the vibrant CeltFest Cuba festival this month which saw talented artists and musicians combining Caribbean music and dance originating from the Celtic Nations of Europe.
The nine day festival took place from 6 April 2010 on a UNESCO Heritage site situated in Havana and featured music from a number of talented artists specialising in Caribbean and Irish Celtic music including Niamh Ni Chirra, The Havana Fiddle Club, Andrea Beaton, The Begleys, Tim Chaisson, Havana's Asturian Pipe Band, Mary Jane Lamond, Ward MacDonald, Havana's Galician Pipe Band, and James P Troy.
Tourists on Cuba holidays joined in the dancing and celebrations of the festival as musicians and dancers made their way through Havana's streets, courtyards, bars, and ancient squares. The traditional Celt music was brought over to the Caribbean island by the early immigrants from Spain and now each year the festival attracts thousands of visitors from afar who especially travel to Cuba for the celebrations.
CeltFest's main organiser and music producer, Lisa Butchart, made it all happen and explained the journey.
"I was naïve about the myriad of permissions that I would have to get to do a festival in Cuba," Butchart said. "That's probably just as well. I probably would never have attempted it had I known the difficulties."
"I find Cuba fascinating. It's a surreal country. It's so interesting. I love the Cuban people. We're starting something that I believe in, and the friendships I've made with these Cuban people. That's very special."
Visitor relaxing on their Cuba holidays enjoyed the mix of Caribbean and Celtic music and dancing with a combination of different instruments including pipers and drummers from Cuban Galician and Asturian traditions; Irish accordion players, fiddlers and singers; and Scottish Highland pipers from Cuba and Canada.
If any tourists on their holidays in Cuba missed the entertaining festival, they will get the chance to join in the celebrations next year as Butchart is intending to plan the festival again for 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Combine discovering the colonial architecture, history and rich culture of Havana with basking upon Caribbean beaches...