Brits get savvy with 2010 holiday plans
Recent study released by Post Office Travel Money has shown that 77% of British holidaymakers are planning to take long haul holidays and Caribbean holidays this year despite the recent recession, and will be adapting their plans to suit their budgets.
UK holidaymakers are planning to take as much holiday time this year as they did in 2009 and are looking at different destination options offered by travel agents which will fit in with their new budgets to make sure they do not miss out on their annual breaks.
The research has revealed that many holidaymakers are sacrificing their main choice of holiday destination in order to still have the number of days away they are accustomed to. Almost half of holidaymakers are planning to take at least one 10 – 20 day holiday while one in ten are planning to take even longer long haul holidays lasting over three weeks. Rather than cancel their annual trips away, holidaymakers are looking for alternative cheap holidays to ensure they get their required holiday days.
Head of Post Office Travel Services, Sarah Munro, said:
"Despite financial pressures it seems holidays are not something that people are willing to give up. Instead they are choosing to switch their first choice destination to one which allows them to cut costs and to allow for that two week break. Holidaymakers should of course research deals carefully and consider all factors before they book.
"Although people are prepared to fly with budget airlines and stay in less expensive hotels, we're urging people not to cut corners on their travel essentials. Always make sure you exchange enough travel money before you go in order to get the best rates and don't scrimp on travel insurance. Cheaper policies are full of exclusions and your holiday could end up costing you a great deal more than you bargained for should the worst happen and you become ill or your holiday gets cancelled."
Holidaymakers are also cutting costs by choosing low budget airlines, cheaper hotels, "staycations", and travelling during off peak seasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Enjoy a holiday filled with sun and sand at Be Live Collection Punta Cana. To give you a teaser, expect plenty of...
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...