Unity is primordial when dealing with the challenges Caribbean holidays face
Last week, during the Summit for Latin American and Caribbean Unity, Dominican Republic president Leonel Fernandez urged participating countries to unite forces in order to effectively face the many challenges the Caribbean region was facing
The president of the Dominican Republic, Leonel Fernandez, made a plea last week urging the Caribbean leaders meeting at the Summit for Latin American and Caribbean Unity to solve the many challenges Caribbean holidays are facing by uniting forces.
“Our countries have a strong tendency toward institutional dispersion and that can be a serious obstacle for the unity we aspire to achieve” - said the Dominican Republic head of state during an interview with the Telesur television network.
He highlighted that the concept of Caribbean holidays included not only the islands in this region but also the nations of the Caribbean Sea basin, such as Cancun holidays, Central America, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana and Suriname.
“That means we’re talking about UNASUR, MERCOUR, the Group of Rio, the Andean Community, the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), the organisation of the French-speaking islands and that of Central American nations” - he added.
He assured that this implies a diversity of criteria, interests and approaches, so regional unity will require some time –the amount of which he considered impossible to predict but nevertheless it was primordial to start making efforts to join forces and strengths to face the adversities Caribbean holidays are currently facing and may face in the near future.
While answering questions asked by Telesur, the leader expressed his confidence in the final success of the unifying efforts of Latin American and Caribbean nations, but added that it will be obtained at the expense of a lot of patience, understanding, tolerance and maturity of the part of all nations involved, since we have to understand each other in our diversity, he pointed out.
He described as something very positive the existence of so many sub-regional organizations, since, in his opinion, it expresses an intention on the part of countries of grouping themselves, which has existed for years. Therefore, he stated, the future consolidation of the unifying body will not necessarily imply the disappearance of these entities.
Fernandez considered that between this moment and the Caracas Summit in 2011 there will be a space in which all leaders in the region will have the opportunity to reflect and take careful and mature steps toward the unity we want to achieve.
The two-day Latin American and Caribbean Summit for Unity was held at the Gran Velas Hotel of the Mayan Riviera in Mexico, where some 25 heads of state and government laid the foundations for the creation of a regional body embracing the 33 nations in the area: the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...