Elephant Orphanage Visit - Meet Sri Lanka Wild Life
Duration: Half Day
The beautiful tropical island of Sri Lanka is renowned for its spectacular wildlife, and the elephant is undoubtedly one of its most popular animals. This tour will enable you to get close to these magnificent gentle giants at the Elephant Orphanage on the Pinawella estate, where you can watch them eating, bathing and playing in natural surroundings.
After an early start, you will reach the Elephant Orphanage at Pinawella just in time to see the baby elephants being bottle fed by their mahouts (keepers) before being guided down to the river to wash and play. The orphanage was set up by the Department of Wildlife in 1975 to protect elephants in Sri Lanka from the threat of extinction and to protect and care for baby elephants found orphaned, injured or abandoned by their mothers.
The orphanage has successfully continued its wonderful work ever since and more than 70 adults and baby elephants are cared for on this 25-acre coconut estate today. This is the largest captive herd of elephants in the world. They range in age from newborns to elderly adults, and approximately one baby elephant is born and successfully reared here every year.
What makes Pinnawela so special is the way that every effort has been made to enable the elephants to function just as they would in the wild, including encouraging these sociable animals to develop their own herd structure. The elephants roam freely amongst this vast parkland, which is fringed by lush palms and coconut trees.
The May Oya River is also close by, so the elephants can bathe here daily after feeding. Visitors can watch these gentle giants wallowing and frolicking in the water from the river banks, which is a magical experience you will never forget. The babies are particularly entertaining as they spray each other and hose themselves down. Get your camera ready to capture their playful antics.
Aside from bathing time, one of the highlights of the tour has to be bottle-feeding the baby elephants. It’s amazing to watch these cute animals guzzling down enormous quantities of milk in such a short amount of time.
Afterwards, enjoy a refreshing drink in the tearooms before we continue onwards to the historical city of Kandy, the cultural capital of Sri Lanka and an UNESCO World Heritage Site. We will stop on route for a light lunch. This memorable tour will undoubtedly be one of the highlights of your holiday in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka Holidays Browse all
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Fabulous dining, nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation
- Complimentary WiFi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Arouse your senses in the Indian Ocean with this amazing double Island getaway
- Follow the thousands of local pilgrims and visit the awe inspiring Kalutara Temple - the only Buddhist shrine in the world which is completely hollow inside
- Sunrise and sunset fishing giving you the most stunning views over the Indian Ocean
- Tholhufushi Robinson Excursion , offering a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure on a deserted island
Wake up on a picture perfect island in the Maldives before heading to the magical island of Sri Lanka
Enjoy a romantic getaway and benefit from this amazing double island trip of a lifetime
- Experience a wide range of local excursions in Sri Lanka, enhancing your Indian Ocean experience
- The all-natural treatments draw on the ancient health and beauty traditions of Asia in the property's Jiva Spa
- Boasting one of the best spots for diving, amateurs and professionals can explore the resort's very own house reef and shipwreck
You will enjoy a perfect mix of beach and city in this attractive selection of hotel and destinations. Mermaid Hotel and...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...
Experience a warm Sri Lankan welcome at the Jetwing Blue Hotel. Surrounded by lush tropical gardens & a golden sand...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
This resort is spread across two acres of lush coconut groves and tropical gardens by the golden sands of Kalutura...
The place where "space meets light", the Tangerine Beach Hotel is a heavenly fusion of modern and ancient elegant...
With the most strikingly beautiful of settings, amongst green coconut groves and facing the golden sands just at the...
Jetwing Beach Resort sits beside a beautiful sun kissed stretch of beach, just outside the coastal town of Negombo. The...
Vivanta by Taj Bentota is located on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka beside the golden mile beach at Bentota. Set on a...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka NewsBrowse all Sri Lanka News
The Sri Lankan capital of Colombo will soon have a new luxury property, the InterContinental Colombo. Scheduled to open in 2019, the new property will be centrally located on Colombo's Galle Road and is expected to be the tallest hotel tower in the city.
The luxurious Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo in Sri Lanka has announced the launch of its urban safari experiences. The unique bespoke experiences have been created to take guests off the beaten path, and include tuk-tuk rides through Colombo, gemstone sessions with a local expert, a tour of four Buddhist temples, and walking tours of the city at sunset.
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed a new General Manager. George Koumendakos has taken over the role at the luxury five-star hotel in Colombo city centre, and he brings more than 30 years of experience in the hospitality sector to the position. The hotel opened in January 2016 and has 219 guest rooms and suites, a spa, a rooftop bar, themed restaurant and an infinity pool.