Adams Peak - Sri Lanka's Soul
Duration: Half Day
The beautiful island of Sri Lanka is adorned with magnificent historical and religious monuments, including temples, churches and shrines which are dedicated to a variety of different faiths – mainly Buddhism, Christianity and Hinduism. Religious people come here from all over the world to worship and take part in festivals and pilgrimages, whilst non-religious visitors are eager to immerse themselves in Sri Lanka’s unique culture.
This tour will lead you to Adam’s Peak, one of Sri Lanka’s most famous sacred sites and an area of outstanding natural beauty. Situated in Sri Lanka’s central hills in the beautiful Ratnapura district, a visit to Adam’s Peak is one of the most memorable tours you could embark on during a holiday in Sri Lanka.
Another name for the mountain is Sri Pada, meaning 'Holy Footprint', which refers to the footprint-shaped mark at the summit. It is believed that Lord Buddha placed his footprint on this sacred mountain during his third visit to Sri Lanka. However, Christians believe that the footprint belongs to Adam when he first stood on Earth after being banished from the Garden of Eden (hence the name Adam's Peak), or possibly the footprint of St. Thomas, the disciple of Jesus. Hindus think that it’s the mark of the god Lord Siva. Whatever the belief, this sacred mountain is an important holy monument for Buddhists, Christians, Hindus and Muslims who journey here every year (usually around April) to embark on this famous pilgrimage.
Rising to a height of around 7500 ft, Adam’s Peak takes about three to four hours to climb and is best attempted at night in order to reach the summit before dawn. Hundreds of devotees from all over the island make the long ascent to the peak, climbing thousands of steps in time to witness one of the most spectacular sunrises in Asia. As the sun rises higher, the famous phenomenon known as the "Shadow of the Peak" occurs across the clouds, leaving climbers spellbound.
Aside from the spectacular views of mountains, forested hills and lush green jungle during your ascent, this is one of the best areas for spotting birds and butterflies. The mountain is also actually known as Samanalakande (“Butterfly Mountain”), because of the countless butterflies that reputedly fly from all over the island to die here. The region surrounding Adam’s Peak is a wildlife reserve, protecting hundreds of endemic bird and animal species, so who knows what you’ll see here. If you’re prepared for the challenge, climbing Adam’s Peak is a moving and unforgettable experience not to be missed.
Sri Lanka Holidays Browse all
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventurer's dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Fabulous dining, nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation
- Complimentary WiFi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
Take advantage of this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Arouse your senses in the Indian Ocean with this amazing double Island getaway
- Follow the thousands of local pilgrims and visit the awe inspiring Kalutara Temple - the only Buddhist shrine in the world which is completely hollow inside
- Sunrise and sunset fishing giving you the most stunning views over the Indian Ocean
- Tholhufushi Robinson Excursion , offering a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure on a deserted island
Wake up on a picture perfect island in the Maldives before heading to the magical island of Sri Lanka
Enjoy a romantic getaway and benefit from this amazing double island trip of a lifetime
- Experience a wide range of local excursions in Sri Lanka, enhancing your Indian Ocean experience
- The all-natural treatments draw on the ancient health and beauty traditions of Asia in the property's Jiva Spa
- Boasting one of the best spots for diving, amateurs and professionals can explore the resort's very own house reef and shipwreck
You will enjoy a perfect mix of beach and city in this attractive selection of hotel and destinations. Mermaid Hotel and...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...
Experience a warm Sri Lankan welcome at the Jetwing Blue Hotel. Surrounded by lush tropical gardens & a golden sand...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
This resort is spread across two acres of lush coconut groves and tropical gardens by the golden sands of Kalutura...
The place where "space meets light", the Tangerine Beach Hotel is a heavenly fusion of modern and ancient elegant...
With the most strikingly beautiful of settings, amongst green coconut groves and facing the golden sands just at the...
Jetwing Beach Resort sits beside a beautiful sun kissed stretch of beach, just outside the coastal town of Negombo. The...
Vivanta by Taj Bentota is located on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka beside the golden mile beach at Bentota. Set on a...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka NewsBrowse all Sri Lanka News
The Sri Lankan capital of Colombo will soon have a new luxury property, the InterContinental Colombo. Scheduled to open in 2019, the new property will be centrally located on Colombo's Galle Road and is expected to be the tallest hotel tower in the city.
The luxurious Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo in Sri Lanka has announced the launch of its urban safari experiences. The unique bespoke experiences have been created to take guests off the beaten path, and include tuk-tuk rides through Colombo, gemstone sessions with a local expert, a tour of four Buddhist temples, and walking tours of the city at sunset.
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed a new General Manager. George Koumendakos has taken over the role at the luxury five-star hotel in Colombo city centre, and he brings more than 30 years of experience in the hospitality sector to the position. The hotel opened in January 2016 and has 219 guest rooms and suites, a spa, a rooftop bar, themed restaurant and an infinity pool.