Kandy and Pinnawela
Duration: Full Day
Situated in the Indian Ocean, the beautiful island of Sri Lanka is renowned for its magnificent cultural and natural treasures. The country has had its fair share of natural disasters over the years, including the devastating 2004 tsunami, but this breathtaking island has gradually been rebuilding itself and tourism is healing the wounds. Diverse landscapes, a rich cultural heritage and spectacular wildlife await you, along with an extremely warm welcome.
Your tour begins with a scenic drive from Colombo to the Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage, which was set up by the Department of Wildlife in 1975 to protect elephants in Sri Lanka from the threat of extinction. Young elephants found orphaned, injured or abandoned are tamed and cared for on the Pinnawela estate, and now the orphanage is home to over 70 baby and adult elephants, the largest captive herd in the world.
These gentle giants roam freely amongst twenty-five acres of parkland, fringed by palm and coconut trees, and are well looked after by their mahouts (keepers). Every effort has been made to allow the elephants to function as they would in the wild, including encouraging them to develop their own herd structure. Highlights of the trip include bottle-feeding the babies and watching the elephants bathing and playing in the river, which is an unforgettable experience not to be missed.
Our next stop is the picturesque hillside city of Kandy, the last capital of the Sri Lankan Kings and the cultural capital of Sri Lanka. The city’s proud heritage and beautiful lakeside setting has attracted travellers to this part of the island for centuries. Aside from its natural beauty, Kandy is ultimately famous for its many beautiful shrines and temples. This tour will lead you to the 16th century Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth), which allegedly houses Sri Lanka’s most sacred religious relic – the tooth of the Buddha.
After wards we will make our way to one of the most beautiful gardens in Asia, the Peradiniya Botanical Gardens (also known as the Royal Botanical Gardens of Peradeniya). Dating back to the 14th century, during the reign of King Vikrama Bahu III, they were used as royal pleasure gardens before colonial times. Stroll along the winding paths at your leisure and marvel at the striking landscapes, adorned with lush vegetation, brightly-coloured ornamental flowers and exotic plants, surrounded by the Mahaweli River.
The rest of the day will be spent exploring the historical city of Kandy, the old capital of the Kandyan kingdom and an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Kandy was the capital city of Sri Lanka from 1592 until the 19th century when it was conquered by the British. The city still retains influences of its colonial past after being conquered by the Portuguese in the 16th century, the Dutch in the 17th century, and finally the British in 1815.
Kandyans are particularly proud of their heritage, however, and their traditions and Buddhist values still prevail. Kandy is also well known for its traditional, quality handicrafts and souvenirs, so spend time browsing the bustling markets for spices, antiques and batiks, as well as some of the finest gems and jewellery on the island. This fantastic experience will undoubtedly be a highlight of your holiday in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka Holidays Browse all
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Fabulous dining, nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation
- Complimentary WiFi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
Sink into comfort and luxury in the Indian Ocean
- Opt for a romantic escape to one of the uninhabited Maldivian islands
- Gold medal winning chef at the Heritance for the individual events at the Culinary Olympics - The only chef to have 9 Gold medals!!
- Experience a relaxing Dhoni ride in search of wild dolphins over the Indian Ocean
The ideal mix of Sri Lankan culture with the Highlights of Sri Lanka tour and a beach relaxation and vibrant Dubai
Enjoy a private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy followed by a beach stay
- Get the chance to visit Sri Lanka's archaeological World Heritage Sites recognized by UNESCO, which are ancient cities of Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa & Kandy
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- Combine this trip with a stopover in Dubai with a newly opened hotel in a primary location opposite of Burj Khalifa
Arouse your senses in the Indian Ocean with this amazing double Island getaway
- Follow the thousands of local pilgrims and visit the awe inspiring Kalutara Temple - the only Buddhist shrine in the world which is completely hollow inside
- Sunrise and sunset fishing giving you the most stunning views over the Indian Ocean
- Tholhufushi Robinson Excursion , offering a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure on a deserted island
Wake up on a picture perfect island in the Maldives before heading to the magical island of Sri Lanka
Enjoy a romantic getaway and benefit from this amazing double island trip of a lifetime
- Experience a wide range of local excursions in Sri Lanka, enhancing your Indian Ocean experience
- The all-natural treatments draw on the ancient health and beauty traditions of Asia in the property's Jiva Spa
- Boasting one of the best spots for diving, amateurs and professionals can explore the resort's very own house reef and shipwreck
You will enjoy a perfect mix of beach and city in this attractive selection of hotel and destinations. Mermaid Hotel and...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...
Experience a warm Sri Lankan welcome at the Jetwing Blue Hotel. Surrounded by lush tropical gardens & a golden sand...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
This resort is spread across two acres of lush coconut groves and tropical gardens by the golden sands of Kalutura...
The place where "space meets light", the Tangerine Beach Hotel is a heavenly fusion of modern and ancient elegant...
With the most strikingly beautiful of settings, amongst green coconut groves and facing the golden sands just at the...
Jetwing Beach Resort sits beside a beautiful sun kissed stretch of beach, just outside the coastal town of Negombo. The...
Vivanta by Taj Bentota is located on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka beside the golden mile beach at Bentota. Set on a...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka NewsBrowse all Sri Lanka News
The Sri Lankan capital of Colombo will soon have a new luxury property, the InterContinental Colombo. Scheduled to open in 2019, the new property will be centrally located on Colombo's Galle Road and is expected to be the tallest hotel tower in the city.
The luxurious Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo in Sri Lanka has announced the launch of its urban safari experiences. The unique bespoke experiences have been created to take guests off the beaten path, and include tuk-tuk rides through Colombo, gemstone sessions with a local expert, a tour of four Buddhist temples, and walking tours of the city at sunset.
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed a new General Manager. George Koumendakos has taken over the role at the luxury five-star hotel in Colombo city centre, and he brings more than 30 years of experience in the hospitality sector to the position. The hotel opened in January 2016 and has 219 guest rooms and suites, a spa, a rooftop bar, themed restaurant and an infinity pool.