Minneriya, Sigiriya and Dambulla
Duration: 2 Days
A holiday in Sri Lanka conjures up images of beautiful palm-lined beaches, lush vegetation, and spectacular wildlife, and the reality won’t disappoint you. This diverse tour will uncover the island’s fascinating history and unique natural wonders as you explore Minneriya National Park, the ancient city of Sigiriya and the caves of Dambulla on an exhilarating day to remember.
Your tour will begin with an early scenic drive to the beautiful Minneriya National Park, one of Sri Lanka’s most beautiful nature reserves. Here you will be guided through the many diverse habitats of the park, looking out for native wildlife species amongst dense forest, wetlands and thalawa grasslands, which is particularly popular with the elephants – Minneriya’s star attraction. You can see herds of up to 300 elephants here, one of the largest populations of Asian elephants in the world, in their natural habitat. During the dry season between July and October, visitors can witness an amazing spectacle in the centre of the park as these magnificent gentile giants gather in groups to drink, play and bathe on the banks of the ancient Minneriya Tank (reservoir).
Elephants are not only the only mammals you are likely to see in the park, however. Rich in biodiversity, Minneriya also hosts a variety of creatures such as the Purple-faced Leaf Monkey, Sri Lanka Swamp Crocodiles, Red-lipped Lizards, Sambar deer, leopards, sloth bears and many more. The park is also a haven for many endemic bird species such as the Sri Lanka Hanging Parrot, Sri Lanka Grey Hornbill and Sri Lanka Brown-capped Babbler, as well aquatic birds such as the Painted Stork, Great White Pelican, Ruddy Turnstone, Woolly Neck Stork, Grey Heron and hundreds of cormorants. Early mornings and late evenings are the best times to spot the resident and migratory birds, so prepare for an early start!
After this exhilarating safari, we continue to the historical city of Sigiriya for an overnight stay. Here you will see the impressive Lion Rock, which allegedly acquired its name from the lions that once occupied the nearby caves. Here lie the remains of a 5th century fortress-palace, which towers 600ft above the breathtaking countryside.
The next morning we head to the ancient Dambulla Cave Temple, also known as the Golden Temple, sited on a gigantic rock. Declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1991 as part of Sri Lanka’s Cultural Triangle, this is the largest and best-preserved cave temple complex in Sri Lanka. The steep climb to the top will reward you with stunning panoramic views of the surrounding jungle, reservoirs and Sigiriya Rock. The temple itself comprises five separate caves dating back to the 1st century BC, and a selection of 12th century Buddhist statues and late 18th century Sri Lankan paintings can be found inside. The impressive interiors are well worth the climb. This captivating tour is a wonderful way to experience the beauty of Sri Lanka’s unique natural heritage.
The tour includes half board accommodation on a twin-sharing basis, air conditioned transportation, an English speaking chauffeur guide, entrance fees as per itinerary and jeep and tracker for safari. Elephant rides are optional.
Sri Lanka Holidays Browse all
Combine discovering the rainforests, temples and fishing villages of Sri Lanka's west coast, with exploring the infamous cutting edge developments in Dubai, within one invigorating holiday.
- Indulge in tropical beauty, culture and history in Sri Lanka.
- Surround yourself with cutting edge opulence in Dubai.
- Cheerful and exotic, yet affordable.
Jet off to a tropical sandy hideaway in Sri Lanka, then to extravagant Dubai, for a holiday to remember
Combine basking on a tropical, Sri Lankan beach, with exploring the Arabian extravaganza that is Dubai.
- Savour your stay in the historic district of Deira, celebrating views over the Arabian Gulf and Dubai glamour
- Revel in 5* accommodation, ensuring a luxurious stay in total comfort
- Enjoy a stay along a beautiful, tropical, sun-kissed stretch of beach in Sri Lanka
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
The ideal mix of Sri Lankan culture with the Highlights of Sri Lanka tour and a beach relaxation and vibrant Dubai
Enjoy a private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy followed by a beach stay
- Get the chance to visit Sri Lanka's archaeological World Heritage Sites recognized by UNESCO, which are ancient cities of Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa & Kandy
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- Combine this trip with a stopover in Dubai with a newly opened hotel in a primary location opposite of Burj Khalifa
Wake up on a picture perfect island in the Maldives before heading to the magical island of Sri Lanka
Enjoy a romantic getaway and benefit from this amazing double island trip of a lifetime
- Experience a wide range of local excursions in Sri Lanka, enhancing your Indian Ocean experience
- The all-natural treatments draw on the ancient health and beauty traditions of Asia in the property's Jiva Spa
- Boasting one of the best spots for diving, amateurs and professionals can explore the resort's very own house reef and shipwreck
You will enjoy a perfect mix of beach and city in this attractive selection of hotel and destinations. Mermaid Hotel and...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...
Experience a warm Sri Lankan welcome at the Jetwing Blue Hotel. Surrounded by lush tropical gardens & a golden sand...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
The Mermaid Hotel & Club's serene surroundings and secluded atmosphere offer an experience of calm relaxation. This...
The place where "space meets light", the Tangerine Beach Hotel is a heavenly fusion of modern and ancient elegant...
With the most strikingly beautiful of settings, amongst green coconut groves and facing the golden sands just at the...
Jetwing Beach Resort sits beside a beautiful sun kissed stretch of beach, just outside the coastal town of Negombo. The...
Vivanta by Taj Bentota is located on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka beside the golden mile beach at Bentota. Set on a...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Related articles for Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka NewsBrowse all Sri Lanka News
The Sri Lankan capital of Colombo will soon have a new luxury property, the InterContinental Colombo. Scheduled to open in 2019, the new property will be centrally located on Colombo's Galle Road and is expected to be the tallest hotel tower in the city.
The luxurious Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo in Sri Lanka has announced the launch of its urban safari experiences. The unique bespoke experiences have been created to take guests off the beaten path, and include tuk-tuk rides through Colombo, gemstone sessions with a local expert, a tour of four Buddhist temples, and walking tours of the city at sunset.
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed a new General Manager. George Koumendakos has taken over the role at the luxury five-star hotel in Colombo city centre, and he brings more than 30 years of experience in the hospitality sector to the position. The hotel opened in January 2016 and has 219 guest rooms and suites, a spa, a rooftop bar, themed restaurant and an infinity pool.