A practical guide to Mauritius
National holidays and celebrations
With a population of diverse ethnicities, Mauritius has a jam-packed calendar of celebrations. If you're not sure when is the best time to go, do let us know and we can give you advice on when to go to get the best experience in Mauritius.
- New Year: 1st January.
- Thaipoosam Cavadee: Between January and February. A Hindu festival with fire-walking and sword climbing performances.
- Chinese New Year: Between late January and early February.
- Abolition of Slavery: 1st February.
- National Day: 12th March. Independence Day for Mauritians.
- Ougadi: Dates vary each year. A Hindu festival celebrating the New Year.
- Labour Day: 1st May.
- Assumption of the Blessed Virgin: 15th August. Celebrated during even years only.
- Eid al Fitr: Between October and November. Muslim celebration marking the end of Ramadan.
- Ganesh Chaturthi: Between August and September, or on the fourth day of the lunar month. This is a Hindu celebration.
- Diwali: September. Hindu celebration also known as the "Festival of Lights".
- All Saints Day: 1st November. Only celebrated during odd years.
- Arrival of Indentured Labourers: 2nd November.
- Christmas: 25th December.
The local currency is the Mauritius rupee (R or MUR)
- For the best exchange rates, bring British pounds to exchange on arrival.
- ATMs give a good rate of exchange and accept most credit and debit cards.
- Private moneychangers often give better rates than banks and offer longer opening hours.
Mauritian food is a fusion of Chinese, European, Indian and Creole influences, and this combination of cuisines can often be experienced in the same meal. Expect a variation on your favourite dishes; Indian curries are given a Mauritian spin with distinctive local flavours, and Chinese and Asian cuisine is served with a delectable Mauritian twist.
While most hotels feature Mauritian dishes as well as international foods, the most authentic Mauritian cuisine is often best experienced at local restaurants – which we highly recommend.
Mauritius enjoys a year round, mild tropical maritime climate, with warm temperatures that are often cooled by gentle breezes.
- The hot, humid summer runs from December to April, with average temperatures between 25°C and 33 °C in coastal areas and around five degrees cooler on the inland plateau.
- The warm, dry winter runs from May to November and is a popular time to visit. Temperatures rarely drop below 21°C along the coast and 15°C on the inland plateau.
Mauritius Holidays Browse all
Within walking distance to Grand Baie and its dazzling nightlife, you'll enjoy a relaxed atmosphere and unexpected surprises
- Explore the nightlife of Grand Baie
- Endless activities including snorkelling
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- All-inclusive island bliss in Mauritius
- 360 degree view restaurant in Dubai
- Picturesque beachfront location
You'll be wanting for nothing - from all-inclusive meals to fun activities while being close to attractions galore there's no better place to stay in Grand Baie!
- All-inclusive 'Culinary Voyage' allows you to choose from 4 restaurants for lunch and 7 for dinner as well as 5 bars, including a night club and a sport bar
- Perfect location on a white sandy beach between Port Louis and Grand Baie, near the historical site of Balaclava
- Weekly activity programme includes: outdoor cinema, face painting, treasure hunt, cooking classes and much more
Mauritius is more than sugar and spice, it's a melting pot of fusion cooking, hospitable islanders and stunning natural surroundings - experience it all at the Intercontinental Mauritius
- Family Offer available
- Indulge in a selection of Four Restaurants from Asian Fusion, Indian to Mauritian Cuisine
- Enjoy Evening Entertainment including Dance shows & Music Bands
Set on the island's longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Long Beach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist
- Exclusive Offer! Book Full board and get FREE upgrade to All Inclusive! (book by 30 Sep)
- Enjoy a range of water sports including kayaking, boat tours and paddles boats
- Golfers can take advantage of complimentary green fees and the Free Shuttle Service to Ile aux Cerfs Championship Course
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Make the most of the private beach, stunning sea views and a great selection of facilities
- Revel in complimentary kayaking, glass bottom boating, tennis and more sports
- Enjoy culinary delights that suit all tastes from Mauritian, Asian and international delicacies
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The Ambre Hotel is an exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
Spend a week sunning yourself at the InterContinental Mauritius on the gorgeous beaches of Grand Baie, one of Mauritius'...
Enjoy the stunning Indian Ocean coastline at the Heritage Awali, sitting in a prime location to admire and savour the...
Enjoy a stunning view on the east coast of Mauritius. This 4-star resort combines natural beauty and contemporary...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
When you're looking for the perfect holiday, it's nice to have some assurances. As well as being a three star plus...
Located on the sandy beach of the north-west coast of Mauritius, Les Cocotiers enjoys a close proximity to the island's...
Located on the West Coast of Mauritius, Aanari Hotel & Spa is right across one of the best beaches if the island with...
Nestled upon the North East Coast of Mauritius, the 4* Jalsa Beach hotel offers spectacular views of mountains and an...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Related articles for Mauritius
Mauritius NewsBrowse all Mauritius News
Acclaimed UK chef and Michelin star holder James Mackenzie will be flying out to land at Outrigger Konotta Maldives next January and delight guests with a special cooking master class on the beach as well as to host a five-course menu with wine pairing prepared by him and served on two consecutive evenings between 4th and 14th January.
A new boutique resort aimed at beach lovers, surfers and watersports enthusiasts will debut this December 2018 at the surfing spot of Tamarin Bay on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius. The Veranda Tamarin will replace the Hotel Tamarin after extensive renovations to transform the resort, adding 50 new rooms and new facilities.
Heritage Resorts, a unique collection of boutique hotels in Mauritius' Domaine de Bel Ombre region, has recently announced an array of new incentives, activities and upgrades to their three properties. From the opening of the exclusive Heritage Le Chateau restaurant for lunch to a new art exhibition and a golfing app, there are plenty of reasons to stay at this culturally-enriching part of Mauritius with exceptional five-star service to match.