Whale and Dolphin Watching
Duration: Half Day
Looking for another outdoor activity to be enjoyed on the beautiful island of St. Lucia? Well if you have already been sightseeing around the island, gone to the Sulphur Springs, shopped around, laid on the beach, hiked and splashed at waterfalls, visited the rainforest, biked, gone on helicopter rides, snorkelling or diving and are wondering what else you can do, there is also the unique whale and dolphin watching opportunity to make for the experience of a lifetime. The excitement you feel when coming in contact with these magnificent mammals is truly amazing and like nothing you will ever experience again!
Dolphins and whales are mammals with unique characteristics which differ from most other mammals hence they are often confused and wrongly classified with other sea creatures. They breathe from a blowhole located at the top of their heads and communicate via sound as their underwater visibility is limited. The sounds are also produced from the blowhole and are a delight to hear. Listen to the whistles, clicks, squeaks, rattles and groans of these huge but gentle creatures while the magnificent Pitons overlook this lively show in the distance as they rise majestically from the beautiful western coastline.
We’ll venture off on a hydrophone equipped boat to spot these Cetaceans. Unlike many other whale watching destinations, St. Lucia allows you to view different species of whales all year round. There is an 80 % chance of spotting these mammals. Commonly sighted species are Sperm Whales, Pilot Whales, Cuvier’s beaked Whales, False Killer Whales, Pisso’s Dolphins, Bottle-nosed, Fraser Dolphins and the acrobatic Spinner dolphin; occasionally Bryde’s Whales and Humpback Whales.
The thrill of seeing these colossal mammals emerge out of the ocean is indescribable! There is an additional joy of viewing these animals in their natural habitat without causing any disturbance to them. Dolphins are extremely fast swimmers and the energetic Bottle-nose Dolphin will race a speeding boat. The protection of these animals is also of great importance. Visitors are not allowed to swim with these wonderful marine mammals. Feeding the animals or throwing food in the water near the animals is prohibited. These are respectful measures taken to ensure that all visitors continue to enjoy this activity and nothing disturbs the whales and dolphins as they get accustomed to your presence and come near to salute you. We can guarantee that there are very few life experiences that can compare to whale and dolphin watching in the endlessly scenic environment of St. Lucia.
St Lucia Holidays Browse all
Bridgetown and Rodney Bay - Two popular Caribbean resorts offering culture, food and fun
- Stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Amazing Twin Centre Package with flights and transfers included
- Bay Gardens Hotel is Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views plus its famed Splash Water Park
The ideal combination for the perfect St Lucian experience - discover the island's entertainment hub of the North and enjoy the serene tranquillity of the South.
- Enjoy $1000 resort credit to be used in resort on Spa treatments, upgrades and more in Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa
- Discover Rodney Bay and the numerous shops, bars and the beautiful Reduit Beach
- Enjoy the water park and dine around concept available at Bay Gardens Hotel
Experience an ultra tranquil Caribbean twin centre getaway at beautiful St Lucia and picturesque Antigua
This holiday has been hand picked to ensure a holiday like no other offering ultimate relaxation and memories to last a lifetime
- This holiday has been carefully selected to offer ultimate romance and relaxation for those looking for the ultimate Caribbean getaway
- The Newly opened Bel Jou, providing a haven of peace and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of many of the big resorts. With a number of inclusions, one being a compliementary picnic tour
- Enjoy stunning views from The Verandah Resort and Spa, set on 30 beachfront acres in an idyllic bay on the unspoilt northeast coast of Antigua
Discover Antigua's prestine Beaches at St James's Club and Villas then St Lucia's Vibrant Culture at St James's Club, Morgan Bay
- This combined holiday includes All Inclusive at both properties and all of your flights and transfers
- St James's Club Morgan Bay is situated minutes from the world famous Rodney Bay marina and Gros Islet
- St James's Club and Villas boasts breathtaking ocean views on a private 100-acre peninsula
Visit St Lucia and Barbados within one holiday at St James's Club Morgan Bay and Mango Bay
- Enjoy fun filled activities including water and land sports
- Discover the west coast of Barbados
- Discover St Lucia’s coast and its main city, Castries
Double the Sun and Double the Sand in Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia and Sandals Grande Antigua Resort and Spa
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort offers an exotic Caribbean getaway for families, honeymooners and couples....
Discover the Charm of two Caribbean Islands with a Twin centre package that incorporates two hotels that ooze charm and...
Start your journey with a vibrant and colourful Morgan Bay. Located just minutes away from magnificent Rodney Bay...
A long tree lined avenue brings you to the secluded Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa. From the moment you arrive...
Winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence (2013), Bay Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of St. Lucia, at...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
Located in Saint Lucia's prime tourist area of Rodney Bay Village, Bay Gardens Inn offers a wide range of dining and...
Nestled upon Rodney Bay, The All-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts boasts direct access to the pristine white sands of...
Located on one of the most beautiful beaches in St Lucia, Bay Gardens Beach Resort offers an enchanting mix of natural...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Related articles for St Lucia
St Lucia NewsBrowse all St Lucia News
The Caribbean island of St Lucia is offering tourists a new unique holiday guarantee. The island's tourism authority has launched the holiday guarantee programme to cover travel cancellations in the case of a hurricane in the region. Holidaymakers will be covered if they have had to cancel their holiday to the island prior to their arrival or if their holiday has been cut short due to a hurricane.
The Royal St. Lucia Resort and Spa has been named in the coveted TripAdvisor Hall of Fame for the second time in 10 years. The accolade is given to hotels that have won the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for five years in a row. The resort sits on Reduit Beach in St Lucia and has 94 guest rooms and suites, as well as two restaurants, two bars, a spa, a fitness centre and a water sports centre.
The award-winning Jade Mountain resort in St Lucia could soon have a new sister resort. The owners of the luxurious Jade Mountain and Anse Chastanet sister properties have revealed plans to develop the new Jade Sea resort. The new resort would be separated from Jade Mountain by a ridge, and it would face the Pitons and would be fully open on the south side, with 24 guest rooms and suites.