Sri Lanka Holidays to be Rediscovered by Participants of First Tuk-Tuk rally
Sri Lanka's first official Tuk-Tuk rally will take place from 5th to 15th September 2009 with 25 teams of worldwide competitors who will navigate through the 1200km route in auto-rickshaw for this unique 10-day challenge and journey of discovery
The first ever inaugural 2009 Lanka challenge, which will feature Sri Lanka’s first ever official Tuk-Tuk rally, will soon take place on 5th September, date on which the racing participants begin their 10-day-long journey, which comes to an end on 15th September 2009.
As many as 25 teams from all over the world will gather here to participate in this world-first event. The lucky participants will be navigating through the fascinating 1200km route in a set of coloured auto-rickshaws that will take them through Sri Lanka’s varied landscape of mountains, rainforests, tea plantations, coastal villages and busy towns.
Apart from being able to enjoy first-hand the many natural wonders a Sri Lanka holiday could offer tourists, the driver enthusiasts of this peculiar race will get a unique up-close and personal experience with some of the most fascinating historical sites and island riches that have made this tiny country a popular holiday destination.
The 10-day challenge across forests, coasts, valleys and towns will allow the lucky teams of 2 or 3 passengers to raise money for local charities at the same time and while cruising along their route the teams will come across a set of daily challenges to enrich their trip, which will involve contact with the local community. A rare opportunity hardly experienced by most travellers that go on Sri Lanka holidays just for the beaches and sightseeing, this great Lanka Challenge will set out to test the participants’ racing skills as well as letting them connect with the heart of the country and its lovely people.
Mr. Bernard Goonetilleke, Chairman of the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau declared: “The 2009 Lanka Challenge will showcase important facets of everyday Sri Lankan living and the teams will be able to discover many diverse destinations within the country.”
And as if the incredible Sri Lankan road trip experience wasn’t enough, the winners of the rally will receive $500 US and a complimentary transferable pass for a team of two for next year’s 2010 Lanka Challenge. Local charities will also benefit as 10 per cent of each team’s entry fee will be donated by the organisers, ‘Let’s Travel’ and ‘A Large Minority’ to the Sri Lankan community.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventures dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...