Sri Lanka Holidays to be Rediscovered by Participants of First Tuk-Tuk rally
Sri Lanka's first official Tuk-Tuk rally will take place from 5th to 15th September 2009 with 25 teams of worldwide competitors who will navigate through the 1200km route in auto-rickshaw for this unique 10-day challenge and journey of discovery
The first ever inaugural 2009 Lanka challenge, which will feature Sri Lanka’s first ever official Tuk-Tuk rally, will soon take place on 5th September, date on which the racing participants begin their 10-day-long journey, which comes to an end on 15th September 2009.
As many as 25 teams from all over the world will gather here to participate in this world-first event. The lucky participants will be navigating through the fascinating 1200km route in a set of coloured auto-rickshaws that will take them through Sri Lanka’s varied landscape of mountains, rainforests, tea plantations, coastal villages and busy towns.
Apart from being able to enjoy first-hand the many natural wonders a Sri Lanka holiday could offer tourists, the driver enthusiasts of this peculiar race will get a unique up-close and personal experience with some of the most fascinating historical sites and island riches that have made this tiny country a popular holiday destination.
The 10-day challenge across forests, coasts, valleys and towns will allow the lucky teams of 2 or 3 passengers to raise money for local charities at the same time and while cruising along their route the teams will come across a set of daily challenges to enrich their trip, which will involve contact with the local community. A rare opportunity hardly experienced by most travellers that go on Sri Lanka holidays just for the beaches and sightseeing, this great Lanka Challenge will set out to test the participants’ racing skills as well as letting them connect with the heart of the country and its lovely people.
Mr. Bernard Goonetilleke, Chairman of the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau declared: “The 2009 Lanka Challenge will showcase important facets of everyday Sri Lankan living and the teams will be able to discover many diverse destinations within the country.”
And as if the incredible Sri Lankan road trip experience wasn’t enough, the winners of the rally will receive $500 US and a complimentary transferable pass for a team of two for next year’s 2010 Lanka Challenge. Local charities will also benefit as 10 per cent of each team’s entry fee will be donated by the organisers, ‘Let’s Travel’ and ‘A Large Minority’ to the Sri Lankan community.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Mount Lavinia is one of Sri Lanka's oldest hotel and with its impressive 200 plus years of heritage it has...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...