More Spanish Companies investing in Caribbean Hotels
The Spanish Barcelo Group is remaining optimistic about the future of Caribbean holidays despite the economic downturn causing a decrease in tourism numbers. The hotel chain continues to grow with expansion of more Caribbean hotels.
Spanish hotel companies are remaining positive about new ventures in the Americas despite a decrease in tourism numbers.
Leading Spanish hotel company, Barcelo Group, have Caribbean hotels across the region and have been in business in the Americas since 1985 after opening the first hotel in the Dominican Republic and leading the way forward for other Spanish hotels to make their investment in this region. The travel company now have 187 four and five star Barcelo hotels across the world, of which 67 are in the U.S and 37 are scattered across the Caribbean and Latin America.
Barcelo's investment in the Americas continues to grow with the expansion of more Costa Rica hotels and Caribbean hotels in the pipeline with the economic crisis hitting Spain hard in 2009, the decline in tourism income fell by 13.3 percent during the first few months of the year. Spanish hotel companies are hoping that their revenue from their investment in the Americas will be a little more positive this year.
However, for some, the ongoing economic crisis will force a downfall in these investments. Sol Melia is the biggest resort group in the country with 61 hotels in 12 Latin American countries. The company are looking to reduce investments tied up in various resorts and Sol Melia hotels in Brazil and Mexico in an attempt to avoid any further falling profits.
Communications Chief of Sol Melia, Laura del Amo, said:
"The economic crisis is having a fundamental impact, seen in a decline of the number of clients. In light of this, the business is betting on commercial ventures to increase revenues, sustain financial solidity and control risks."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Enjoy luxury with a 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
This all inclusive resort provides luxurious holidaying at its very best with a true Dominican flavour
- Boasting a wonderful location, immaculate tropical gardens, and a stunning stretch of beach
- A choice of six specialty restaurants featuring Mexican, Oriental, Steak House and more
- Honeymoon couples receive a bottle of champagne, fruit basket and a romantic dinner
From the allure of the beach to the excellence of premium all-inclusive service, this is the place to make your every holiday dream an unforgettable reality
- Family friendly services including an Explorer's Club for kids and a Core Zone for teens
- De-stress at the world-class spa and select from an indulging array of treatments
- Enjoy an array of activities including watersports, golf, horse riding, organised ball games, aerobic, dance and Spanish classes and more.
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...