Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic top the list as happiest countries in the world
According to a recent survey carried by a group of British researchers, Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic came out as the happiest places in the world. The project called Happy Planet Index, rated countries' happiness factor on a range of aspects
According to a survey recently carried out by an independent research group in Britain who called their project the Happy Planet Index (HPI), Costa Rica came out as the happiest place in the world. The green country well known for its lush rain forests and protected pristine beaches, ranked 1st in the happiness index when compared against all other nations in the world.
In the report, who seeks out countries with the most content people in terms of wellbeing, life expectancy, economic foundations and ecological footprint, Costa Rica was declared the country with the highest life satisfaction in the world, with the second highest life expectancy (second only to Canada) and a very impressive ecological footprint.
Furthermore, the country's president, Oscar Arias Sanchez, is a famous world peace activist who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1987 for trying to help end civil wars in several Central American countries. No wonder more and more people are choosing this as their holiday destination with the wide array of cultural and environmental adventures to be experienced here. Costa Rica holidays offer travellers with diverse jungles and dramatic volcanoes to explore as well as beautiful beaches, national parks, nature reserves and so much more. This exceptional country really has a wealth of attractions to bewilder the discerning traveller and those on a Costa Rica holiday will be able get a taste of the happiness of the place...we must warn you though...it's contagious!
The Dominican Republic closely followed on the Happy Planet Index list as the second happiest in the world. It might explain why Dominican Republic holidays have become so popular over the last decade. The country's laid-back, trouble free, all-dancing all smiling Dominican attitude is contagious to visitors. That together with the island's beautiful landscapes, ever shining sun and pristine Caribbean beaches are all part of what makes up the happy Dominican world. The building of so many new Dominican Republic hotels hardly copes with the demand that this happy island attracts.
Another close follower in the list was Jamaica followed by Guatemala, Vietnam, Colombia, Cuba, Honduras, Brazil and Nicaragua. As can be seen all the countries in the top 10 were Latin American countries with the only exception of Vietnam. According to the report, together Latin American and Caribbean nations have the highest Happy Planet Index mean score for any region and have continuously maintained their position at the top for years from their previous studies.
On the other hand most developed economies lagged behind in the study, largely due to their hefty consumption and massive ecological footprint. While Britain ranked 74th on the list, the United States snagged the 114th spot. "As the world faces the triple crunch of deep financial crisis, accelerating climate change and the looming peak in oil production, we desperately need a new compass to guide us," said Nic Marks, founder of the foundation's centre for well-being.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters along with peaceful and secluded atmosphere
- The hotel has an ideal beachfront location in Bayahibe, a picturesque village on the Dominican Republic's southeast coast for relaxing and luxurious Caribbean holiday
- Enjoy a range of drinks and food with buffet and 4 a la carte restaurants plus numerous bars
- Spoil yourself at the modern spa for serene relaxation featuring five rooms for treatments, jacuzzis and much more
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Up to 2 kids go FREE in a Deluxe family room between 3rd Jan 17 - 22nd Dec 17, Book By 28th Feb 17
- Stay between 15 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017 and get 50% off a Rock Royalty Level Room
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
- Enjoy various fantastic events coming up at the hotel including Justin Bieber on 17th April & Sting in concert on 13th May
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of the Dominican Republic where the amazing beaches of Juan Dolio await you. Also...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...