Abu Dhabi holidays on the up as the city predicts a 50% cruise tourism growth
The popular UAE holiday destination of Abu Dhabi is eyeing an increase in the inflow of its cruise passengers with a predicted 59% growth in arrivals for the 2009-2010 Season, according to forecasts by the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA)
One of the Middle East's most famous holiday destinations; the UAE's popular city of Abu Dhabi is now predicting an increase in the inflow of its cruise passengers. At the moment the emirate is eyeing a 59% growth in arrivals for the 2009-2010 Season according to forecasts by the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA).
The ADTA points towards some 199,113 arrivals in the season running from November this year to the beginning of May 2010, compared against a total of 125, 200 arrivals last season. The popularity of this type of maritime Abu Dhabi holidays has increased over the last months and according to ADTA: "The increase is due to the inclusion of Abu Dhabi in Royal Caribbean International's weekly itinerary for its .Brilliance of the Seas,' which has a passenger capacity of 2,501 and the fact that Costa Cruises is to boost its service to the UAE capital by introducing larger, brand new vessels with increased passenger capacity."
More and more people are opting for this holiday destination when selecting between Mediterranean and Gulf cruises and this has been in great measure thanks to the unique and mystical allure of Arabian waters and the unique beauty of the Persian Gulf. Soon to pick up on the Abu Dhabi holiday cruise trend; after the city having been included in Royal Caribbean's itinerary for the "Brilliance of the Seven Seas" cruise, the German vessel "Aida Vida" is soon to follow as well as the recently commissioned "Costa Deliziosa" and "Costa Luminosa", both of which are proud to add an Abu Dhabi stopover to their cruises.
Preparing for the soon approaching increase of arrivals the ADTA is already planning to set up a hospitality tent to welcome passengers as they disembark from their vessels in order to spend a day visiting the emirate. At the same time they are looking to extend their appeal as a cruise holiday destination as the ADTA commissions a market study into the UAE capital's cruise potential. "We are looking to establish the viability of Abu Dhabi as a home port for cruise vessels as opposed to its current status as a port-of-call," explained Ahmed Hussein
But the intentions go beyond extending their Abu Dhabi holiday cruise appeal, they plan for a full assessment of the whole Abu Dhabi holiday package including infrastructure, the capacity and offering of Abu Dhabi hotels as well other cultural and tourist factors of the city. Mr Hussain added on a final note: "We also want to better gauge whether we have future potential beyond the European fly-and-cruise market which we are currently serving."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Enjoy a special break in Abu Dhabi, that comes complete with great shopping, a fabulous beach and spa club, and all at an affordable price.
- Choose from 15 award-winning restaurants and bars including a famous Jazz Bar
- One of the longest stretches of private beach in Abu Dhabi
- Facilities include swimming pools, tennis courts and a selection of watersports
Surround yourself with unspoiled beauty at the luxurious Saadiyat Rotana Resort & Villas
- Authentic flavours from around the world with seven modern, stylish and creative dining venues
- All rooms and suites boast elegant interiors, luxury facilities and reflect the warmth of a beachfront home
- Beachside retreat surrounded by natural beauty, architectural splendour, and cultural experiences
Experience the spectacular and beautiful Intercontinental Abu Dhabi
- Upgrade to All Inclusive package! Call us now!
- Choose from a huge variety of prized buzzing restaurants overlooking the water
- A landmark hotel, prized for its white sandy beach, marina and variety of restaurants
Discover two destination in one unforgettable holiday
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the marina shopping mall
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and crystal clear ocean with your nearest and dearest
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
Stay in Downtown Abu Dhabi and be pampered by Arabian hospitality. The Holiday Inn Abu Dhabi offers excellent service...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...