Costa Rica welcomes a new minister of tourism
Maria Amalia Revelo Raventos has been selected the new Tourism Minister of Costa Rica by Carlos Alvarado Quesada, the President of the country. Raventos brings more than 40 years of experience and knowledge of the tourism sector in Costa Rica, and she will be responsible for the development of new local destinations and products, promoting local companies, and strengthening projects between the public and private sector.
The new President of Costa Rica, Carlos Alvarado Quesada, has appointed a new Tourism Minister for the country. Amalia Revelo Raventos has taken over the role, bringing with her more than 40 years of experience in the tourism industry.
Raventos has held several roles in the public and private sectors in Costa Rica. She was previously the deputy manager and marketing director at the Costa Tourism Board, where she implemented key marketing initiatives to promote the nation globally. Prior to her new role, Raventos was the commercial director at Aeris Holding, where she managed to the development of new flight routes and helped attract new airlines to San Jose’s Juan Santamaría International Airport, and Liberia’s Daniel Oduber Quiros Airport.
In her new role as Tourism Minister, she will help promote medium and small businesses in the tourism sector; develop new local destinations and products; and strengthen relationships between the public and private sectors. Sustainability will be at the forefront of her actions in her new role.
Last year, Costa Rica received a total of 76,173 UK tourists, which was a 6.7 percent compared to 2016. The UK continues to be Costa Rica’s largest source market in Europe, followed by Germany, France, and Spain.
Costa Rica is one of the greenest countries in the world, and it is home to magnificent natural landscapes. The Central American nation is a hotspot for adventure-seekers and nature lovers thanks to its abundant wildlife. Travellers can take part in exhilarating activities such as climbing up volcanoes, zip lining through tropical cloud forests, hiking through lush jungles, and surfing on two coastlines that face both the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean.
Costa Rica’s capital San Jose is a vibrant city that has become a popular tourist destination for global travellers. The city offers fantastic attractions such as El Teatro Nacional, Mercado Central market, the Gold Museum, the Costa Rica National Museum, and the Botanical Gardens and Zoo.
The country has strict environmental protection policies and it is home to almost six percent of the world’s biodiversity. It has more than 800 miles of coastline, and 25 percent of Costa Rica is protected with 22 national parks, 12 biological reserves, 10 wildlife reserves, and eight forest reserves that are home to diverse animals including white-headed capuchin monkeys, three-toed sloths, red eye tree frogs, tapirs, toucans, and ocelots.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco-tourist's dream destination
- Experience canopy walkways through a bridge system and marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- Explore San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...