"This is Egypt" promotional video wins top award
A promotional video created to encourage tourism to Egypt recently won a major award. The "This is Egypt" video won the Best Tourism Promotional Video in the Middle East at the General Assembly of the World Tourism Organization. The video has not been without its critics, but many people praise the video for its selection of footage.
The “This is Egypt” promotional campaign won the Best Tourism Promotional Video in the Middle East at the General Assembly of the World Tourism Organization (WTO) in China, beating out 63 other contestants.
The video highlights Egypt’s diverse attractions, including historical sites such as the pyramids and Pharaonic temples, as well as the country’s nightlife. The video—a 1:20 minute-long promo—sheds light on a number of unique scenic views from touristic cities that characterize Egyptian tourist destinations and activities, including cultural, marine and entertainment tourism.
Egypt participated in the World Tourism Organization competition for the 2017 best promotional video, with its latest project, entitled “This is Egypt” entering in the People’s Choice Award category at the 22nd round of WTO General Assembly in the Republic of China.
The ministry signed a three-year contract with advertising agency J. Walter Thompson worth $66 million, to promote tourism worldwide and improve Egypt’s image in 27 tourism markets. Last year, then-Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou launched the #ThisIsEgypt campaign as well as a promotional video designed to bring tourists back to Egypt.
In recent years, the country has been striving to overcome the effects of the crash of a Russian jetliner over the Sinai Peninsula, which killed everyone on board, leading to the banning of flights to Sharm al-Sheikh by Russia, Turkey, and the UK.
The first video met with mixed reactions, however, with some pointing out that it was not truly representative of “the real Egypt” while others praised the video’s selection of footage given the campaign’s agenda.
The first video was geared towards Egyptians and encouraged them to “experience Egypt” and use the #ThisIsEgypt hashtag on social media, while the second video caters to the foreign travellers that Egypt is trying to attract once again.
The Tourism Promotion Authority launched a campaign in July to promote Egyptian tourist destinations through Trip Advisor, the world’s most famous travel and tourism website, in five tourist markets—namely, England, Italy, Germany, Sweden, and Denmark, the Ministry of Tourism said in a statement. The campaign launched on Trip Advisor features promotional content of all Egyptian tourist destinations.
Egyptian tourist officials also have plans to run for Trip Advisor’s competition on the best tourist destination in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Located in the heart of Luxor's tourist district, there is plenty to see and do.
- Luxor Temple, Luxor Museum, Karnak Temple and the Valley of the Kings are easily accessible from the hotel
- A wonderful outdoor pool, where guests can cool off, relax and enjoy the spectacular views of the magnificent Nile. A health club with massage, sauna and fitness room
- A magnificent position right on the banks of the River Nile
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £199pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Now you can stop imagining how it would be to visit the cradle of mankind and paddle along the legendary River Nile and...
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Spoil yourself with an amazing historic holiday in the region of the Great Pyramids of Giza. Since 1869, the Mena House...