"This is Egypt" promotional video wins top award
A promotional video created to encourage tourism to Egypt recently won a major award. The "This is Egypt" video won the Best Tourism Promotional Video in the Middle East at the General Assembly of the World Tourism Organization. The video has not been without its critics, but many people praise the video for its selection of footage.
The “This is Egypt” promotional campaign won the Best Tourism Promotional Video in the Middle East at the General Assembly of the World Tourism Organization (WTO) in China, beating out 63 other contestants.
The video highlights Egypt’s diverse attractions, including historical sites such as the pyramids and Pharaonic temples, as well as the country’s nightlife. The video—a 1:20 minute-long promo—sheds light on a number of unique scenic views from touristic cities that characterize Egyptian tourist destinations and activities, including cultural, marine and entertainment tourism.
Egypt participated in the World Tourism Organization competition for the 2017 best promotional video, with its latest project, entitled “This is Egypt” entering in the People’s Choice Award category at the 22nd round of WTO General Assembly in the Republic of China.
The ministry signed a three-year contract with advertising agency J. Walter Thompson worth $66 million, to promote tourism worldwide and improve Egypt’s image in 27 tourism markets. Last year, then-Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou launched the #ThisIsEgypt campaign as well as a promotional video designed to bring tourists back to Egypt.
In recent years, the country has been striving to overcome the effects of the crash of a Russian jetliner over the Sinai Peninsula, which killed everyone on board, leading to the banning of flights to Sharm al-Sheikh by Russia, Turkey, and the UK.
The first video met with mixed reactions, however, with some pointing out that it was not truly representative of “the real Egypt” while others praised the video’s selection of footage given the campaign’s agenda.
The first video was geared towards Egyptians and encouraged them to “experience Egypt” and use the #ThisIsEgypt hashtag on social media, while the second video caters to the foreign travellers that Egypt is trying to attract once again.
The Tourism Promotion Authority launched a campaign in July to promote Egyptian tourist destinations through Trip Advisor, the world’s most famous travel and tourism website, in five tourist markets—namely, England, Italy, Germany, Sweden, and Denmark, the Ministry of Tourism said in a statement. The campaign launched on Trip Advisor features promotional content of all Egyptian tourist destinations.
Egyptian tourist officials also have plans to run for Trip Advisor’s competition on the best tourist destination in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
Sail the mighty River Nile, see the world's largest open air museum in Luxor and Discover the Great Pyramids of Giza in Cairo, the treasures of bygone days
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck of the Swiss Inn Radamis II
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Mercure Le Sphinx
- Discover the World's largest open air museum in Luxor whilst staying at the Karnak Temple
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Get to know some of the most amazing sites in Egypt during a luxurious 15-day stay at the Sheraton Cairo Hotel, Towers...