"This is Egypt" promotional video wins top award
A promotional video created to encourage tourism to Egypt recently won a major award. The "This is Egypt" video won the Best Tourism Promotional Video in the Middle East at the General Assembly of the World Tourism Organization. The video has not been without its critics, but many people praise the video for its selection of footage.
The “This is Egypt” promotional campaign won the Best Tourism Promotional Video in the Middle East at the General Assembly of the World Tourism Organization (WTO) in China, beating out 63 other contestants.
The video highlights Egypt’s diverse attractions, including historical sites such as the pyramids and Pharaonic temples, as well as the country’s nightlife. The video—a 1:20 minute-long promo—sheds light on a number of unique scenic views from touristic cities that characterize Egyptian tourist destinations and activities, including cultural, marine and entertainment tourism.
Egypt participated in the World Tourism Organization competition for the 2017 best promotional video, with its latest project, entitled “This is Egypt” entering in the People’s Choice Award category at the 22nd round of WTO General Assembly in the Republic of China.
The ministry signed a three-year contract with advertising agency J. Walter Thompson worth $66 million, to promote tourism worldwide and improve Egypt’s image in 27 tourism markets. Last year, then-Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou launched the #ThisIsEgypt campaign as well as a promotional video designed to bring tourists back to Egypt.
In recent years, the country has been striving to overcome the effects of the crash of a Russian jetliner over the Sinai Peninsula, which killed everyone on board, leading to the banning of flights to Sharm al-Sheikh by Russia, Turkey, and the UK.
The first video met with mixed reactions, however, with some pointing out that it was not truly representative of “the real Egypt” while others praised the video’s selection of footage given the campaign’s agenda.
The first video was geared towards Egyptians and encouraged them to “experience Egypt” and use the #ThisIsEgypt hashtag on social media, while the second video caters to the foreign travellers that Egypt is trying to attract once again.
The Tourism Promotion Authority launched a campaign in July to promote Egyptian tourist destinations through Trip Advisor, the world’s most famous travel and tourism website, in five tourist markets—namely, England, Italy, Germany, Sweden, and Denmark, the Ministry of Tourism said in a statement. The campaign launched on Trip Advisor features promotional content of all Egyptian tourist destinations.
Egyptian tourist officials also have plans to run for Trip Advisor’s competition on the best tourist destination in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Stay on the MS Royal VIking before a stay at the luxurious Sonesta St. George Luxor
- Sail the Nile in luxurious style onboard the newest, most magnificent floating hotel on the River Nile
- This cruise and hotel combine perfectly for a fantastic holiday
- Five star splendour on the banks of the Nile at Sonesta St. George Luxor
The most popular choice for divers, snorkellers and water sports enthusiasts, this is a resort that has it all.
- Relax and spoil yourself at the health club with gym, steam room and sauna
- Benefit from the Kids' Club with daily activities, an entertainment centre and their own playground
- Ideal location beside a private beach just 15 minutes from Hurghada airport and 20 kilometres from the centre of Hurghada
Sail the mighty River Nile, see the world's largest open air museum in Luxor and Discover the Great Pyramids of Giza in Cairo, the treasures of bygone days
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck of the Swiss Inn Radamis II
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Mercure Le Sphinx
- Discover the World's largest open air museum in Luxor whilst staying at the Karnak Temple
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
M/S Royal Viking Itinerary (7 nights) Day One (Monday) Meet & assist al Luxor airport by our local representative....
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...