Shangri-La Hotel Colombo to open in December 2017
The Shangri-La Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka is scheduled to open to guests this winter, in time for Christmas. The luxury hotel will be Shangri-La’s second property on the island, and it will have 500 guest rooms and suites, and 41 serviced apartments. Located on ten acres of land along the Galle face promenade, the hotel will offer panoramic views of the Indian Ocean.
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts has announced that it will open its second hotel in Sri Lanka in December, 2017. The hotel group will launch the Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo on 1st December, just in time for the Christmas season.
The hotel will be located along the exclusive Galle Face Green promenade in the capital, Colombo, on ten acres of land that will also be home to a shopping mall, office tower and residences. The property will have 500 guestrooms and suites and 41 serviced apartments that will offer views of the sparkling Indian Ocean.
Timothy Wright, the Vice President of Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo, commented:
“As tourist arrivals into the island have grown exponentially over the last eight years, Colombo has found its place as the gateway to all this amazing island has to offer.
“We aim to set new luxury hospitality standards in Colombo and seamlessly blend Shangri-La’s personalised hospitality with the much-loved traditional Sri-Lankan charm.”
The hotel lobby is home to a life-sized infant elephant metal sculpture that was created by celebrated Chinese artist Man Fung-Yi to celebrate the hotel’s surround nature and beauty. There are five dining venues, bars and lounges that offer al fresco dining, live entertainment and Sri Lankan and international culinary delights. The property will also cater for business events and special occasions, with two ballrooms, a spacious lawn, and function rooms that can accommodate more than 1,500 guests.
Located 40 minutes by car from the Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport, guests can also enjoy easy access to attractions in the capital. These include the Galle face beach, Old Colombo Lighthouse, National Museum of Colombo, the Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara temple, National Zoological Gardens of Sri Lanka, Beira Lake, St. Lucia's Cathedral, Colombo Port Maritime Museum and Water World Lanka.
The hotel will join Shangri-La’s Hambantota Golf Resort & Spa, which opened to guests last summer. The luxury resort is the largest resort in Sri Lanka, sitting on 58.8 hectares of verdant land. The property has 300 spacious rooms, including 21 suites, and it boasts an 18-hole golf course, Shangri-La’s signature CHI, Ayurveda Spa, and an artisan village that celebrates local arts and crafts.
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts owns and operates approximately 100 luxury hotels all over the world in destinations such as Oman, the Maldives, Thailand, Canada and the UK. The Hong Kong-based group is developing new hotels in mainland China, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, Myanmar and Saudi Arabia.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Mount Lavinia is one of Sri Lanka's oldest hotel and with its impressive 200 plus years of heritage it has...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...