Emboodhoo Lagoon multi-island resort project breaks ground in the Maldives
A new multi-island resort project set to feature a Hard Rock hotel, overwater suites and a branch of Cafe del Mar has broken ground in the Maldives. The new Emboodhoo Lagoon project will develop up to nine islands with a central core island containing a harbour and a township where all facilities will be concentrated.
A new resort project spread over several islands in the Maldives that will integrate extensive leisure and recreational facilities has broken ground this month. Plans for the multi-island Emboodhoo Lagoon project include constructing a township on a core island with luxury accommodation built on outlying islets.
Once completed the development will encompass nine islands and include 1,300 guest rooms, creating more than 5,000 local jobs. Hard Rock Hotels is slated to open a "new DNA" resort concept featuring Rock Star suites on one of the islands, while another exclusive lifestyle resort will offer travellers luxurious overwater suites.
An official groundbreaking ceremony marked the start of construction on phase one of the Emboodhoo development, estimated to cost around US$311.5 million. The first phase of the resort project will involve developing three islands with food and beverage outlets, retail, entertainment and recreational facilities all concentrated in a central island hub.
The central township and phase one of the project are set to be complete by the latter half of 2018, while the second phase is anticipated to be built within the next five years.
At the ceremony Maldives’ Minister of Tourism Moosa Zameer said:
“We are delighted to attend the official ceremony to mark the start of construction on this new world-class leisure development which is set to further enhance the Maldives' international reputation as one of the world's top tourist destinations.”
The project is being developed by Singha Estate Public Company Limited. Chair Chutinant Bhirombhakdi commented:
“Singha Estate sees a great opportunity in creating the company's biggest and most exciting project to date in the Maldives.”
Bhirombhakdi also said that the company is confident that the Emboodhoo Lagoon project will redefine the Maldives as a leisure and tourist destination and is set to reignite and stimulate the country's tourism economy.
The project developer has partnered with renowned UK-marina management specialists Camper and Nicholsons to build a luxurious international-standard 50-berth marina at the "township" on Emboodhoo’s central island.
Internationally-renowned beach club operator Cafe Del Mar is also on board to open a new outlet, alongside world-class travel retailers.
As part of the overall project, Singha Estate will establish a Maldives cultural and Indian Ocean marine learning centre. Working closely with the local community and a marine biologist, the cultural centre will promote the local life and crafts of the islands and introduce marine conservation schemes dedicated to preserving the biodiversity of the Maldives' precious marine ecosystem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...