Abu Dhabi sees 1.6 million visitors
Abu Dhabi welcomed almost 1.6 million visitors in the first quarter of 2017, a 7 per cent increase over the same period in 2016. Additionally, April of this year also saw an increase of 15 per cent in hotel guest arrivals. The city is hosting numerous festivals and cultural programmes throughout the year, and hotels and attractions will offer promotions in a bid to encourage tourism for the remainder of the year.
A recent report states that Abu Dhabi welcomed almost 1.6 million visitors in the first quarter of this year, which is a 7 per cent increase over the same period last year. And the growth continues, according to the report; the month of April continued to build on the growing number of visitors, with a 15 per cent increase in hotel guest arrivals.
According to the report, each of the top tourist source markets for Abu Dhabi—China, India, UK, US, Germany, and Saudi Arabia—have shown growth. Of these, China remains the largest overseas source market with 131,253 hotel guest arrivals, followed by India and the UK. The increase in visitors from China reflects the recent relaxation of entry rules with visa on arrival for visitors.
In addition to an increase in foreign visitors, domestic travel has increased in Abu Dhabi as well.
Saif Saeed Ghobash, director-general of TCA Abu Dhabi, said:
“Efforts to stimulate interest in our destinations continue unabated and we are encouraged by our latest hotel guest arrival results, which show strong progress. As we expand our year-round programme of events and develop new cultural and family attractions, we expect even greater traction in enticing people to explore the emirate.”
Among the reasons for Abu Dhabi’s growing appeal as a tourist destination is the recent accolade for the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, which was ranked by travellers as the world’s no. 2 favourite landmark for the second year in a row by travel planning and booking website TripAdvisor. In 2016, the mosque saw 5.2 million visitors.
The city is also host to a number of festivals and cultural events, including this year’s inaugural edition of “Manarat Al Saadiyat Ramadan Evenings.” Running from June 4 to 17, the event will feature a wide arrange of cultural experiences during the month of Ramadan. Numerous other festivals are scheduled for later in the year, with hotels and attractions offering promotions encouraging visitors to come to Abu Dhabi.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Enjoy a special break in Abu Dhabi, that comes complete with great shopping, a fabulous beach and spa club, and all at an affordable price.
- Choose from 15 award-winning restaurants and bars including a famous Jazz Bar
- One of the longest stretches of private beach in Abu Dhabi
- Facilities include swimming pools, tennis courts and a selection of watersports
Unwind and be pampered at a luxurious beachside retreat in the golden shores of the Arabian Gulf, on Abu Dhabi's Corniche.
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Upgrade your experience and book a room including tickets to Ferrari World or Yas Waterworld
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Direct connection to Al Raha Mall for the perfect shopping experience
Experience the spectacular and beautiful Intercontinental Abu Dhabi
- Upgrade to All Inclusive package! Call us now!
- Choose from a huge variety of prized buzzing restaurants overlooking the water
- A landmark hotel, prized for its white sandy beach, marina and variety of restaurants
Discover two destination in one unforgettable holiday
- The award winning Hilton Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the heart of the city, 30 minutes from the airport and close to the marina shopping mall
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit
- Experience stunning views over the pure white sands and crystal clear ocean with your nearest and dearest
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...
Come and experience the dreamlike beauty of the stunning Radisson Blu on the coast of the famous Yas Island. With the...