Hotel Nippon reopens to guest in Sri Lanka following two-year refurbishment programme
Hotel Nippon in Sri Lanka has reopened to guests, following a 400 million rupee renovation programme. The hotel in Colombo is owned by four brothers, and the refurbishment project included upgraded guest rooms and facilities, as well as the restoration or original features including the 130-year-old Burma teak staircases and the 130-year-old Seth Thomas grandfather clock.
One of the first five-star hotels in Sri Lanka has reopened following an extensive refurbishment project. Hotel Nippon opened to guests after its accommodation and facilities underwent a 400 million rupee upgrade.
The hotel is located in the capital city of Colombo, the hotel has 49 guest rooms with private balconies and modern amenities. Part of the renovation programme included the restoration of its 130-year-old Burma teak staircases and the 130-year-old Seth Thomas grandfather clock.
First built 130 years ago originally as Manning Mansions apartments for British soldiers, the building then became the Hotel Polski for a brief period. The property then became Hotel Nippon, and is owned by four who are the sons of the late Vethody Kumaran. The hotel still has many of the building’s original features, including the iron beam that runs through the framework of the building, complete with embossed seals that reveal the factory where they were manufactured.
Vishnu V. Vethody, the Managing Director of Hotel Nippon, explained:
“We have extended the rooms to 49, which was 30 before. There is a pastry shop now, earlier pastry shop was known as Greenland cafe, now it is changed to Kerala Cafe. Now we have a full-time housekeeping staff. We reopened the bar.”
“Due to the war and stuff it was not managed very well, after the war ended our family thought it was a good time to invest and turn it around.”
Facilities at the hotel include the Bamboo Room restaurant which specialises in Keralite and Sri Lankan cuisine. There is also The KAFE with its Nippon Mutton rolls and wide range of cakes and deserts including the signature Oreo “Kiri” cake, and The Cabinet Bar and Lounge where guests can enjoy cocktails, jazz music and bar snacks.
There is an onsite business centre, meeting rooms and events space that caters for up to 70 guests. The hotel owners are also planning to add a swimming pool in the near future.
Colombo is a bustling port city located on the west coast of Sri Lanka, which over the centuries has been ruled by the Portuguese, Dutch and British. Popular tourist attractions in the city include Colombo National Museum, the Gangaramaya Buddhist Temple, the National Zoological Gardens of Sri Lanka, Beira Lake, and the vast Viharamahadevi Park which is home to a giant Buddha.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
Arouse your senses in the Indian Ocean with this amazing double Island getaway
- Follow the thousands of local pilgrims and visit the awe inspiring Kalutara Temple - the only Buddhist shrine in the world which is completely hollow inside
- Sunrise and sunset fishing giving you the most stunning views over the Indian Ocean
- Tholhufushi Robinson Excursion , offering a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure on a deserted island
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...