Virgin Atlantic launches first direct Barbados flights from Heathrow
New direct flights between London Heathrow and the Caribbean island of Barbados will commence for the first time this winter with Virgin Atlantic. Services to the popular holiday destination currently only fly from Gatwick airport.
Virgin Atlantic has announced a new direct service between London Heathrow and Barbados to be launched this coming winter 2017. It will be the first and only route to the Caribbean island from London Heathrow. Currently direct flights to Barbados fly from Gatwick airport.
The new twice-weekly service will launch on 12 December 2017 in time for the peak winter holiday season in the Caribbean. Flights will be on sale from Monday 27 February from £649 return per person.
The flights will operate on Tuesdays and Saturdays as part of the winter 2017 schedule using an Airbus A330. This new service means that Virgin Atlantic will now offer up to 11 Barbados flights per week from three UK Airports – Gatwick, Manchester and Heathrow.
Virgin Atlantic said its recently extended codeshare agreement with FlyBe will mean that customers from Scotland can now easily connect from Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports to Barbados via London Heathrow.
Virgin Atlantic's Chief Commercial Officer Shai Weiss said:
“The Caribbean has always been a core market for Virgin Atlantic and so we’re excited to announce we’re offering more choice to our customers with the option of flying from Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester direct to Barbados.”
To cater for increasing demand for Upper Class and Premium Economy seats on Barbados flights, Virgin Atlantic will use its A330 aircraft on the route, which features 33 Upper Class, 48 Premium Economy and 185 Economy seats.
Barbados Tourism Marketing Inc's CEO William Billy Griffith welcomed the news:
“These new flights will make Barbados more accessible to passengers travelling on many major airlines that only fly into London Heathrow. We expect that this new route will make Barbados a more competitive and attractive destination to visitors choosing holidays.”
According to Barbados' Ministry for Tourism, there was a 6.7% increase in air arrivals to the country in 2016. The UK remained the island’s primary source market, contributing 35% of stay-over arrivals.
The Heathrow Barbados route will become Virgin Atlantic’s sixth new service to launch in 2017 – with flights to Seattle, Varadero in Cuba, Boston, New York and San Francisco launching in spring 2017.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
Experience the authentic Caribbean and the friendly atmosphere of the Bajans with complimentary room upgrades available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- New Flash Sale - Incredible FREE room upgrades on all room types - saving upto £600 per person
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Beachfront Property a short walk from the popular St Lawrence Gap
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...