Multi-million dollar project to restore beaches in Dominican Republic
The Dominican Ministry of Tourism has announced it will improve a number of beaches across the country over the next two-and-a-half years. ACCIONA Infrastructure will carry out the work as part of the project that will cost USD $64 million and will see 13 beaches upgraded in seven towns, including Cabeza de Toro, Macao and Arena Gorda-Cortecito beaches in Punta Cana.
Several beaches in the Dominican Republic will be getting a makeover, according to an announcement from the Dominican Ministry of Tourism. The tourism organisation has granted a USD $64 million contract to ACCIONA Infrastructure to improve numerous beaches across the country.
The project will see the restoration of 13 beaches across seven towns and will take approximately three-and-a-half years to complete. Beaches that will receive a face-lift include "Cabeza de Toro", "Macao" and "Arena Gorda-Cortecito" beaches in Punta Cana, and many of the sandy stretches were affected by erosion following the severe storms since 1998 when Hurricane Georges devastated the eastern shores of the Dominican Republic.
ACCIONA was founded in Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic, in 2009, and it has since led beach improvement projects in Asturias, San Juan-Salinas and Tenerife in Spain. The extensive project will see general clean-up work, dredging, topping off the sand, building port and dock structure, raising existing highways, installing mooring buoys, and adding general public facilities such as toilets and showers and safety signage.
The Dominican Republic is a Caribbean nation that boast beautiful natural tropical landscapes and historical cities. Two of the most popular tourist destinations include Santo Domingo and the eastern region of Punta Cana.
Santo Domingo is one of the oldest cities in the Caribbean, but it has become one of the country’s most cosmopolitan cities, seamlessly blending the old with the new. The Colonial Zone is full of 15th and 16th century buildings including the Iglesia "Regina Angelorum" and the "Convento de los Dominicos". Tourist hotspots include "Museo del Ron Dominicano" which becomes a rum bar after hours, and the "Alcázar de Colón" museum.
Punta Cana is the easternmost area of the Dominican Republic and it is home to some of the Caribbean’s most idyllic beaches and landscapes. Bursting with family-friendly hotels and resorts on the beachfront, golf courses, and award-winning sandy stretches, the region is great for romance, family time, weddings and group holidays.
Holidaymakers can snorkel in the calm lagoon at the award-winning Bavaro Beach which is protected by a barrier reef, go surfing at Macao Beach, get close to dolphins and sea lions as they swim in their natural habitat at Dolphin Island Park, or visit Manati Park where there are plenty of lively shows and performances, from dancing horses to sea lion tricks.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Live it up and enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy unlimited luxury, sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...