Seychelles makes a great Valentine's escape
Travellers who are looking for an idyllic Valentine’s escape should consider Seychelles. A picture postcard-perfect destination roughly in the middle of the Indian Ocean, Seychelles has serene natural beauty and a wide array of plant and animal life. The capital city of Victoria offers modern amenities combined with colourful, small-town charm.
The 115 islands that make up the archipelago nation of Seychelles are an unknown quantity for many travellers. Located in the Indian Ocean, roughly halfway between Africa and India, the country doesn’t yet draw the numbers of tourists that many tropical destinations experience. But a visit to this exotic locale will charm any first-time visitor.
Of the 115 islands that make up Seychelles, only three are inhabited: Mahe, Praslin, and La Digue. Most of the country’s population live on Mahe, the largest of the three. One of the high points of a visit to Mahe is a stop at Seychelles National Botanical Gardens on Mount Fleuri, a short drive from the capital, Victoria.
The gardens consist of five acres of beautifully maintained land, as well as numerous exotic native plant species, including spice and fruit trees. Looking up, visitors can catch a glimpse of the fruit bats hanging overhead.
Perhaps the most special part of visiting the botanical gardens, however, is the chance to see giant tortoises, who make their home in a large tortoise enclosure. The Aldabran giant tortoises, with a life-span of up to 250 years, are the world’s longest-lived animals. The remarkable animals have the ability to survive up to three months without food. The nearby Aldabra Atoll, a series of four coral islands, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The capital city of Victoria is a small, charming city characterized by neat, two-lane streets and brightly painted homes. The Victoria Clock Tower is one of the town’s focal points and a replica one erected in London in 1897.
Newcomers to Seychelles may be surprised to find that all beaches are open to the public. There are no private, “guests only” beaches common in other tourist destinations. National law assures that the country’s beaches are open to everyone. Among the country’s most stunning beaches are North East Point Beach, a popular choice with tourists and surfers. Beau Vallon Beach was once considered the best beach in the world. Another not-to-be-missed spot is Morne Blanc, the country’s highest peak, which rewards visitors with panoramic views of the Indian Ocean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Swim around some of the most amazing under water sites in the world at the Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort and Spa
- Discover incredible flora and fauna including giant tortoise and incense trees
- Choose from a range of casual to gourmet dining options, or opt for an in-villa or under the stars experience
- Indulge in a spa treatment in a magical setting
Soak up the stunning landscapes, friendly atmosphere, fascinating architecture and leisurely pace of life of La Digue Island
- Enjoy excursions galore - Take a bike or ox ride, visit Veuve Reserve, the Union Estate Park and Nid Aigle, or explore nearby islands, including Coco Island, Island Grande Soeur, Marianne Island and Praslin.
- The languid pace of life and the romantic, friendly atmosphere.
- Bask on beaches which have topped CNN’s list of ‘the world’s best beaches’.
Treat yourself to a luxury break in the Seychelles combined with an exciting stay in Dubai
- Take advantage of the close proximity to all the local attractions in Dubai
- Discover a wide range of exquisite dining options in the Seychelles
- Practice yoga in the natural surroundings of Silhouette Island
Discover a Kruger adventure in South Africa ahead of a relaxing treat in the Seychelles
- Drift away with a combination of Oriental traditions and modern skincare at the Duniye Spa
- Visit Centre for Endangered Species allowing visitors the opportunity to view and interact with a variety of animals
- Enjoy the thrills of river rafting, tubing, abseiling, zipline, aerial cable trail and quad biking
Prepare yourself for a memorable 8-day holiday with your family at the avani seychelles , where you will be able to...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
The unique all-villa Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa is located on the tropical island of Silhouette, where...
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....
Enjoy completely refurbished guest rooms and comfortable accommodation at the Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay hotel. The...