The Seychelles hailed as the world’s leading honeymoon destination
The Seychelles has dethroned four-time winner Mauritius as the world’s leading honeymoon destination at the 2016 World Travel Awards. The Indian Ocean destination was presented with the accolade at the recently held grand final ceremony that took place in the Maldives with 250 global hospitality leaders in attendance.
Thanks in large part to its stunning white sandy beaches and calm turquoise waters, the Seychelles has been recognised by the World Travel Awards as the top choice for destination weddings and honeymoons. At the recently held 2016 edition of the prestigious grand final ceremony, widely recognised as the Oscars of the tourism industry, the Seychelles took home the award for the “World’s Leading Honeymoon Destination”. Notably, the Seychelles bested ten other destinations nominated in the same category including four-time winner Mauritius.
Speaking at the time of the award, Seychelles Tourism Board chief executive Sherin Francis highlighted the significance of the accolade to the archipelago.
“For me when you mention Seychelles, it’s synonymous to romance, weddings and honeymoon. So the award reiterates the message that is always stressed on during our marketing events, that Seychelles is one of the world’s best honeymoon destinations”
Francis went on to note that the award was proof that the Seychelles has already successfully established itself as a key destination among honeymooners and as a result the challenge was not to market the Seychelles as a honeymoon destination per say but rather to ensure that it remained visible in the minds of holidaymakers.
Also key to the Seychelles’ ongoing success as a holiday destination is the continued support and development of the nation’s blue economy, this according to Minister for Tourism, Civil Aviation, Ports and Marine, Alain St.Ange who spoke at the recently held inaugural Seychelles Ocean Festival. St. Ange’s highlighted the archipelago’s dependence on the pristine waters and its related industries such as sailing, diving, snorkelling, boating and island hopping- all key pull factors for honeymooners and the average traveller alike.
While it looks to devise its strategy for 2017 and beyond, the Seychelles’ tourism sector undoubtedly has a lot to celebrate moving as 2016 comes to a close with not only the recent World Travel Award but also news that it has already surpassed its 2015 international arrival figure and is on track to record 300, 000 visitors in 2016. Ms. Francis attributed the sector’s success in 2016 to the hard work of the trade partners such as the airlines and the close collaboration between the various tourism authorities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Discovery the wonder and beauty of the Seychelles at berjaya praslin resort, seychelles
- Dive along side fascinating sea creatures and amazing sights while bringing you even more enchanting discoveries.
- Jungle trekking, Island hopping, sailing and kayaking are just some of the many activities you can enjoy
- Discover Cote D'Or, one of the most stunning beaches in the world
Stay at the first and most legendary resort in the Seychelles, Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove at Beau Vallon Bay and enjoy a taste of exotica
- Enjoy a couples resort where you can enjoy the relaxtion of the resort and pamper yourself at the Zen Spa
- Discover the incredible flavours of creole cuisine
- Revel in colonial surrounds, as the first hotel in Seychelles built in 1943 boasting orginal architecture
Mother nature bestowed unique beauty on the Seychelles, islands of exquisite white sand beaches, lapped by the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean
- Top up your tan, refresh in the pool or go with the flow in a yoga class
- Free upgrade from Bed & Breakfast to Half Board
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Experience great culinary variety in six different restaurants including a shisha bar
Set in the breath-taking lagoon area of Mahe, this is certainly a resort that offers elegance as well as an exquisite setting.
- Dining options to suit all tastes from gourmet experiences to casual fare
- Indulge in spa treatments including Elemental Herbology for ultimate skin conditioning
- Swim in the Olympic-length swimming pool, try your luck at the casino and children will love the kids club
Enjoy completely refurbished guest rooms and comfortable accommodation at the Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay hotel. The...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
The unique all-villa Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa is located on the tropical island of Silhouette, where...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....
One of Mahe's largest hotels, the Coral Strand enjoys a prime beachfront location on the island's most famous beach, at...