The Seychelles hailed as the world’s leading honeymoon destination
The Seychelles has dethroned four-time winner Mauritius as the world’s leading honeymoon destination at the 2016 World Travel Awards. The Indian Ocean destination was presented with the accolade at the recently held grand final ceremony that took place in the Maldives with 250 global hospitality leaders in attendance.
Thanks in large part to its stunning white sandy beaches and calm turquoise waters, the Seychelles has been recognised by the World Travel Awards as the top choice for destination weddings and honeymoons. At the recently held 2016 edition of the prestigious grand final ceremony, widely recognised as the Oscars of the tourism industry, the Seychelles took home the award for the “World’s Leading Honeymoon Destination”. Notably, the Seychelles bested ten other destinations nominated in the same category including four-time winner Mauritius.
Speaking at the time of the award, Seychelles Tourism Board chief executive Sherin Francis highlighted the significance of the accolade to the archipelago.
“For me when you mention Seychelles, it’s synonymous to romance, weddings and honeymoon. So the award reiterates the message that is always stressed on during our marketing events, that Seychelles is one of the world’s best honeymoon destinations”
Francis went on to note that the award was proof that the Seychelles has already successfully established itself as a key destination among honeymooners and as a result the challenge was not to market the Seychelles as a honeymoon destination per say but rather to ensure that it remained visible in the minds of holidaymakers.
Also key to the Seychelles’ ongoing success as a holiday destination is the continued support and development of the nation’s blue economy, this according to Minister for Tourism, Civil Aviation, Ports and Marine, Alain St.Ange who spoke at the recently held inaugural Seychelles Ocean Festival. St. Ange’s highlighted the archipelago’s dependence on the pristine waters and its related industries such as sailing, diving, snorkelling, boating and island hopping- all key pull factors for honeymooners and the average traveller alike.
While it looks to devise its strategy for 2017 and beyond, the Seychelles’ tourism sector undoubtedly has a lot to celebrate moving as 2016 comes to a close with not only the recent World Travel Award but also news that it has already surpassed its 2015 international arrival figure and is on track to record 300, 000 visitors in 2016. Ms. Francis attributed the sector’s success in 2016 to the hard work of the trade partners such as the airlines and the close collaboration between the various tourism authorities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Swim around some of the most amazing under water sites in the world at the Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort and Spa
- Discover incredible flora and fauna including giant tortoise and incense trees
- Choose from a range of casual to gourmet dining options, or opt for an in-villa or under the stars experience
- Indulge in a spa treatment in a magical setting
Treat yourself to a luxury break in the Seychelles combined with an exciting stay in Dubai
- Take advantage of the close proximity to all the local attractions in Dubai
- Discover a wide range of exquisite dining options in the Seychelles
- Practice yoga in the natural surroundings of Silhouette Island
Mother nature bestowed unique beauty on the Seychelles, islands of exquisite white sand beaches, lapped by the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean
- Top up your tan, refresh in the pool or go with the flow in a yoga class. Enjoy traditional island cooking, dance, craft and language classes, or action packed days of culture and nature trips.
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- free upgrade from Bed & Breakfast to Half Board
- Experience great culinary variety in six different restaurants including a shisha bar
Experience the tropical island of Mahé at banyan tree Seychelles resort
- A living museum of natural history and sasanctuary for some of the rarest species on Earth
- This paradise is famous for having some of the best beaches in the world, pristine and uncrowded
- The gastronomical experience at Banyan Tree Seychelles was specially conceptualised to offer you a unique experience
Prepare yourself for a memorable 8-day holiday with your family at the avani seychelles , where you will be able to...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
The unique all-villa Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa is located on the tropical island of Silhouette, where...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....
Situated on the northern coast of Mahe, Villa Koket is ideal for those looking for a peaceful self-catering getaway near...