Mazatlan grows as Mexico's colonial beach town destination
Though most travellers are familiar with Cancun and Mexico City, Mazatlan is rapidly growing as an important tourist hub within Mexico. Set on the country’s lovely Pacific coast, Mazatlan boasts interesting historic sites, charming colonial architecture and beautiful beaches. USA Today reports the most enjoyable experiences for tourists to try whilst visiting this unique town.
The beautiful landscapes, sunny climate and interesting historic sites Mexico has to offer make this country one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world. One town in particular is lucky enough to possess all of these amazing assets: Mazatlan. Quickly rising as a favourite spot among travellers, the charming Mazatlan, is known as the nation’s “Colonial City on the Beach”. According to USA Today this town offers the complete Mexican experience as well as unique traits that travellers will love to discover.
Set on Mexico’s Pacific coast, Mazatlan is easy to reach with non-stop flights from cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix and Los Angeles. Exploring this beautiful destination is a possibility for most travellers, as its attractions are aimed at mid-range budgets.
History and colonial charm
Settled by Spanish conquistadores in the 16th century, Mazatlan preserves a great part of the colonial architecture that evokes the Belle Epoque atmosphere. Some of the most stunning 19th century edifications include the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, with its gilded triple altar and the impressive Angela Peralta Theatre, where performances are still held. When exploring this stunning area, known as “Old Mazatlan”, the Plazuela Machado is a wonderful spot to rest and take in all the sights. Old Mazatlan is surrounded by cosy cafes and restaurants where visitors can enjoy tasty dishes. For a more detailed colonial experience visitors can venture into other small historic towns like El Quelite, el Rosario and Cosala.
Beaches and cruise ships
After getting to know the historic side of Mazatlan, taking the time to stroll through the serene waters of the surrounding pristine beaches is the best way to rest and relax. Only a few blocks from the historic quarter, travellers can find las Olas Altas, the city’s main beach. Moreover, Mazatlan is a busy cruise ship port where many American retirees have decided to establish due to its favourable conditions and trendy beach town life. Another important part to its seaside appeal is Mazatlan’s beautiful malecon (boardwalk), which extends for over 12 miles, making it the largest in the American continent. The malecon is a great place to get a true feel of the people and the vibe of the city.
Delicious prawn-based gastronomy
Delicious food is another reason to visit Mazatlan. The city is the centre of Mexico’s prawn industry and an excellent place to try the freshest seafood in the country. Travellers will be able to savour the region’s traditional fare, which includes delicious dishes that range from zesty aquachiles and ceviches, to their own version of comfort food, bacon-wrapped prawns. Wherever you go, freshness is guaranteed. Some of the most renowned restaurants comprise El Fish Market and the Shrimp Bucket, but fantastic food can be enjoyed in the most humble locations offered by “changueras”, the name give to the prawn-selling ladies in Old Mazatlan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...