Mazatlan grows as Mexico's colonial beach town destination
Though most travellers are familiar with Cancun and Mexico City, Mazatlan is rapidly growing as an important tourist hub within Mexico. Set on the country’s lovely Pacific coast, Mazatlan boasts interesting historic sites, charming colonial architecture and beautiful beaches. USA Today reports the most enjoyable experiences for tourists to try whilst visiting this unique town.
The beautiful landscapes, sunny climate and interesting historic sites Mexico has to offer make this country one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world. One town in particular is lucky enough to possess all of these amazing assets: Mazatlan. Quickly rising as a favourite spot among travellers, the charming Mazatlan, is known as the nation’s “Colonial City on the Beach”. According to USA Today this town offers the complete Mexican experience as well as unique traits that travellers will love to discover.
Set on Mexico’s Pacific coast, Mazatlan is easy to reach with non-stop flights from cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix and Los Angeles. Exploring this beautiful destination is a possibility for most travellers, as its attractions are aimed at mid-range budgets.
History and colonial charm
Settled by Spanish conquistadores in the 16th century, Mazatlan preserves a great part of the colonial architecture that evokes the Belle Epoque atmosphere. Some of the most stunning 19th century edifications include the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, with its gilded triple altar and the impressive Angela Peralta Theatre, where performances are still held. When exploring this stunning area, known as “Old Mazatlan”, the Plazuela Machado is a wonderful spot to rest and take in all the sights. Old Mazatlan is surrounded by cosy cafes and restaurants where visitors can enjoy tasty dishes. For a more detailed colonial experience visitors can venture into other small historic towns like El Quelite, el Rosario and Cosala.
Beaches and cruise ships
After getting to know the historic side of Mazatlan, taking the time to stroll through the serene waters of the surrounding pristine beaches is the best way to rest and relax. Only a few blocks from the historic quarter, travellers can find las Olas Altas, the city’s main beach. Moreover, Mazatlan is a busy cruise ship port where many American retirees have decided to establish due to its favourable conditions and trendy beach town life. Another important part to its seaside appeal is Mazatlan’s beautiful malecon (boardwalk), which extends for over 12 miles, making it the largest in the American continent. The malecon is a great place to get a true feel of the people and the vibe of the city.
Delicious prawn-based gastronomy
Delicious food is another reason to visit Mazatlan. The city is the centre of Mexico’s prawn industry and an excellent place to try the freshest seafood in the country. Travellers will be able to savour the region’s traditional fare, which includes delicious dishes that range from zesty aquachiles and ceviches, to their own version of comfort food, bacon-wrapped prawns. Wherever you go, freshness is guaranteed. Some of the most renowned restaurants comprise El Fish Market and the Shrimp Bucket, but fantastic food can be enjoyed in the most humble locations offered by “changueras”, the name give to the prawn-selling ladies in Old Mazatlan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...