Mazatlan grows as Mexico's colonial beach town destination
Though most travellers are familiar with Cancun and Mexico City, Mazatlan is rapidly growing as an important tourist hub within Mexico. Set on the country’s lovely Pacific coast, Mazatlan boasts interesting historic sites, charming colonial architecture and beautiful beaches. USA Today reports the most enjoyable experiences for tourists to try whilst visiting this unique town.
The beautiful landscapes, sunny climate and interesting historic sites Mexico has to offer make this country one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world. One town in particular is lucky enough to possess all of these amazing assets: Mazatlan. Quickly rising as a favourite spot among travellers, the charming Mazatlan, is known as the nation’s “Colonial City on the Beach”. According to USA Today this town offers the complete Mexican experience as well as unique traits that travellers will love to discover.
Set on Mexico’s Pacific coast, Mazatlan is easy to reach with non-stop flights from cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix and Los Angeles. Exploring this beautiful destination is a possibility for most travellers, as its attractions are aimed at mid-range budgets.
History and colonial charm
Settled by Spanish conquistadores in the 16th century, Mazatlan preserves a great part of the colonial architecture that evokes the Belle Epoque atmosphere. Some of the most stunning 19th century edifications include the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, with its gilded triple altar and the impressive Angela Peralta Theatre, where performances are still held. When exploring this stunning area, known as “Old Mazatlan”, the Plazuela Machado is a wonderful spot to rest and take in all the sights. Old Mazatlan is surrounded by cosy cafes and restaurants where visitors can enjoy tasty dishes. For a more detailed colonial experience visitors can venture into other small historic towns like El Quelite, el Rosario and Cosala.
Beaches and cruise ships
After getting to know the historic side of Mazatlan, taking the time to stroll through the serene waters of the surrounding pristine beaches is the best way to rest and relax. Only a few blocks from the historic quarter, travellers can find las Olas Altas, the city’s main beach. Moreover, Mazatlan is a busy cruise ship port where many American retirees have decided to establish due to its favourable conditions and trendy beach town life. Another important part to its seaside appeal is Mazatlan’s beautiful malecon (boardwalk), which extends for over 12 miles, making it the largest in the American continent. The malecon is a great place to get a true feel of the people and the vibe of the city.
Delicious prawn-based gastronomy
Delicious food is another reason to visit Mazatlan. The city is the centre of Mexico’s prawn industry and an excellent place to try the freshest seafood in the country. Travellers will be able to savour the region’s traditional fare, which includes delicious dishes that range from zesty aquachiles and ceviches, to their own version of comfort food, bacon-wrapped prawns. Wherever you go, freshness is guaranteed. Some of the most renowned restaurants comprise El Fish Market and the Shrimp Bucket, but fantastic food can be enjoyed in the most humble locations offered by “changueras”, the name give to the prawn-selling ladies in Old Mazatlan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...