Sri Lanka launches new themed tourism development zones
Sri Lanka is working towards its goal of attracting five million holidaymakers by 2020. In an effort to boost the number of arrivals officials have announced the launch of themed tourism development zones. The details of the project are expected to be unveiled at the upcoming Asia Hotel & Tourism Investment Conference.
In an effort to boost the number of travellers booking holidays to Sri Lanka each year, local officials have announced plans to launch themed tourism development zones.
According to initial reports, there will be between five and eight “Themed International Tourism and Family Entertainment Zones” each of which will be developed on state owned lands that will showcase Sri Lanka’s natural beauty including its beaches, mountainous areas and forested areas.
The development themes are expected to include luxury tourism, eco-tourism, wellness and yoga, adventure and family activities. Notably, the first zone Lanka Patuna is already under construction. Spread across 180 hectares of beachfront land, Lanka Patuna is expected to house as many as 30 luxury hotels.
Officials are expected to disclose full details of the programme and the steps that will be taken to attract international investment at the inaugural Asia Hotel & Tourism Investment Conference (AHTIC) due to be held later this month in Colombo. Tourism Minister John Amaratunga highlighted some of the steps being taken to ensure that the venture would be a success.
“I have formed an advisory committee of leaders of the travel, tourism and hospitality industries whose input is sought on a regular basis on all matters of national interest in the tourism sector.
"They are the driving force that guides the industry. We are accelerating and widening the scope for investors by actively making reforms to reduce bureaucracy. We want to speed up decision making.”
Officials in Sri Lanka have set a target of welcoming up to five million holidaymakers by the year 2020 along with a target of tourism revenue to be increased to US$10 billion. Recent figures show positive developments in the country’s tourism sector. The Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA) reported a 13.7 per cent increase in the number of tourist arrivals in October 2016 compared to the same period last year.
Additionally, the number of arrivals for the first ten months of the year has exceeded 1.6 million- a 14.6 per cent increase over the same period in 2015. In 2015, Sri Lanka welcomed approximately 1.8 million holidaymakers with the sector generating US$2.98 billion in revenue.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than the Sri Lankan town...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...